Thames Britain’s Great River

Chris_d

Visit site
I think it was a bit disappointing from the Thames users point of view, but I guess they were not looking to repeat all the stuff that other docmentaries have done, Runneymead, Hampton Court, Windosr, 3 men in boats type stuff.

Hoping the other new documentary "The Liquid Highway", due out soon I believe will be a bit more boaty.

TrueBlue

Visit site
EA will be dreading that coming out!

I don't think think EA corporately give a poo. Too much bothered fiddling with the 'books' and keeping their seniors happy.

Quite different from the folks on the grould who do care - as far as they are allowed.

Never mind - few boaters use the River anyway.

Chris_d

Visit site
I don't think think EA corporately give a poo. Too much bothered fiddling with the 'books' and keeping their seniors happy.

Quite different from the folks on the grould who do care - as far as they are allowed.

Never mind - few boaters use the River anyway.

Agreed, but that trailer does give a good flavour of the sort of things the EA have let decline and someone high up may watch it and be embarressed enough to try and sort it. Things like wonky channel marker signs and a branch hanging over the navigation arch are not exactly expensive to sort, just needs the will or a kick up the behind that a series like that might provide.
We can but hope :(

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Especially as the solution to the wonky channel sign was to remove it and the sunken cruiser is still there after several years in the lock cut!

oldgit

Visit site
If the Producers of the program are trying to promote the River Thames why so much time spent on a sewerage works and not places like Runnymede where the Magna Carta was signed ?

Ask the viewers of Love Island or East Enders if they have ever heard of Runnymede. :)

Chris_d

Visit site
Surprised you’re even aware of Love Island .... East Enders makes sense though !

Surprised you're even aware of Love Island!
As you are no doubt aware everything on Love Island is fake from the resort to the people, I have it on good authority its is filmed on the Isle of Sheppy :D

oldgit

Visit site
Surprised you're even aware of Love Island!
As you are no doubt aware everything on Love Island is fake from the resort to the people, I have it on good authority its is filmed on the Isle of Sheppy :D

For Gawds sale its the Isle of Sheppey, they have 3 prisons probably full with Londoners. :)

normskib

Visit site
Point taken but surely the people that watch Love Island and EastEnders are already up to there necks in manure !

Big John

Visit site
If the Producers of the program are trying to promote the River Thames why so much time spent on a sewerage works and not places like Runnymede where the Magna Carta was signed ?

I agree. And as for him at the tiller of the boat crew in Henley, a complete disgrace.

Viking23

Visit site
Surely its a national TV station attempting to portray the essence of the Thames in way to attract viewers in the UK as whole, not a detailed invetory of every stone and tree on the river.
You have 4 hours(less adverts) probably 3 ,to cover 150 miles of river and to put it bluntly all the interesting history is in the Pool.
Without being mean to, Marlow, Bourne End, Cookham, the differences between them is what exactly ?

Hmm - Marlow- Shelley, Suspension bridge, fine church, posh hotel (Compleat Angler), Bourne End - sailing, Cookham - Stanley Spencer gallery, Clivedon, Maidenhead - Boulter’s lock, Brunel’s bridge, Windsor (stuck on that one!!!) Runnymede - Magna Carta. IMHO they missed out the finest part of the Thames.
Agreed there have been previous documentaries on the Thames, but why then bother to produce another version? But an interesting programme.
Did chuckle a bit when they announced that Methane was produced at the sewage works and was used to power the site - I visited High Wycombe sewage works in the 70’s and they were already doing that, so nothing new!

oldgit

Visit site
Watched the last part on catch up.
Fascinating final episode and a good effort to cover a vast and complex subject.
Best bit,enjoyed the visit to Billingsgate .................
Aware of developments around the "O2" but not the sheer scale.
Can remember the "nay sayers" whinging about the Millenum Dome and before that the Channel Tunnel, suspect they have all gone over to stopping HS2 . :)

Old Crusty

Visit site
Can remember the "nay sayers" whinging about the Millenum Dome and before that the Channel Tunnel, suspect they have all gone over to stopping HS2 . :)

They can add Solsbury Hill, Twyford Gap and the Newbury bypass to their list of successes.