Thames and canals across the UK - delivery idea

MoodySabre

Visit site
I am thinking of buying my son's 24ft Achilles - a triple keel sailing craft with a newish 5hp 4 stroke engine, drawing about a metre. The boat is in Milford Haven and has no road trailer. So I had an idea which was to sail it up the Severn to Sharpness, take the mast off and have it transported and spend the summer (next year) pottering it across England on the canals and the Thames and then re-stepping the mast at Limehouse and sailing it back to the East Coast.

The boat has no gas system but has a sea toilet and a fixed VHF and nav lights from a battery that would have a solar panel to keep it up. No charging from the engine. I would replace the ancient Origo meths cooker with a two burner gas cassette type.

I haven't looked into the issue of canal and river licence and boat safety schemes. I just wondered if this was totally bonkers. I recall an article in one of the mags a few years ago where Richard Stilgoe did this (anyone got it?).

Don't drown me with too much detail (at this stage). Just a few words of encouragement or dis-couragement.

I am an experienced sailor so know about that stuff.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
All sorts of problems, probably nothing that can't be overcome though the cost may not be worthile

3'3" draught with the triple keel isn't a show stopper but getting alongside could be fun in some places

Sea toilet absolute no no. It'd have to come out and be replaced (if only temporarily) with a PortaPotti or similar

You'd need a boat safety certificate and therein will lie your biggest problem

Forget the gas canister stove - it and any spare canisters would have to be stored in a deck locker that drains overboard (e.g. a gas locker) and shouldn't be used below decks. Stick with a spirit stove. Even then, the spare fuel ought to be stored in such a locker*

Petrol storage is another problem area. Again, it ought to be stored in a self draining locker*

Then there's ventilation. Yachts simply can't comply with the BSS requirements. Examiners are given some latitude on this but how much discretion they will use varies

* These are recommendations, not scheme requirements, but if the examiner is not satisfied with the storage arrangements he can, and will, refuse to issue a certificate

I think that's enough to be going on with! There's a whole lot more I could add :)

Personally, I'd not even think about trying to do it. Sorry!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I thought you could get a BSS waiver for a short period, just seal off the sea toilet. You can self cert for the Sharpness canal at least.

Ah, I see it's now for a maximum of 56 days in any one year, which might be enough, (and I'm sure that 56 days is longer than it used to be. Either that or my memory is at faultbut I'm sure it used to be a lot less, I thought 14) You have to complete a very simple declaration and they can and do refuse a short term licence if they're unhappy with the safety of the boat

56 days would do it

SteveSarabande

Visit site
Ah, I see it's now for a maximum of 56 days in any one year, which might be enough, (and I'm sure that 56 days is longer than it used to be. Either that or my memory is at faultbut I'm sure it used to be a lot less, I thought 14) You have to complete a very simple declaration and they can and do refuse a short term licence if they're unhappy with the safety of the boat

56 days would do it

Outboard, no gas, sealed toilet, he should pass.

Much easier to do it by road though

Actionmat

Visit site
It's very decent of you wanting to pay your way and do it legally, but if you do, I'm sure it won't be long before you've cruised past so many unlicensed boats and floating wrecks that you'll wonder why you bothered.
A keel will make mooring a bit of a problem in many places and town centres have a worrying amount of submerged shopping trolleys. Mooring alongside may be your best bet.
I met a couple in Abingdon with a similar boat to your son's who had come up from Teddington, so it's certainly do able.
Good luck!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Remember to factor in the cost of the boat being broken in to and the outboard being pinched :)

Not all that likely unless you moor in obvious bandit territory

It's very decent of you wanting to pay your way and do it legally, but if you do, I'm sure it won't be long before you've cruised past so many unlicensed boats and floating wrecks that you'll wonder why you bothered.

A lot less now than you would have a few years ago and C&RT are actively tackling the problem.

I met a couple in Abingdon with a similar boat to your son's who had come up from Teddington, so it's certainly do able.

Yes but Abingdon is on the Thames and that's a whole different ball game to the canals

TrueBlue

Visit site
The canals are almost certainly - out..
Most of the interconnecting canals are narrow and shallow.
That leaves the K&A which is shallow and certainly so at the margins
DItto the Grand Union (if you wanted to go around London. It's further exacerbated by the huge numbers of liveaboards moored two or three abreast.
Then there are numerous bridges which are low...
Apologies for being a misery....

PeterV

Visit site
Look on the Cornish Shrimper logs pages for a Shrimper that did the Thames to K&A, then sailed back round the south coats to where they started from. I think it took about 10 days to get from the Thames to Bristol.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Look on the Cornish Shrimper logs pages for a Shrimper that did the Thames to K&A, then sailed back round the south coats to where they started from. I think it took about 10 days to get from the Thames to Bristol.

A Shrimper is a very different animal to an Achilles 24. 1'6" draught with the keel up and a fairly flat bottom

ianc1200

Visit site
A Crabber did it as well (2'6" with plate up) but I'm guessing a triple keel, as much the underwater shape as anything, would be a no/no on the canals, but Thames wouldn't be too much of a problem.