Thai Holiday Destinations

GruffT

Visit site
Hi All,

So me and SWMBO are looking at an Easter break to Thailand. It'll have to be a hotel based holiday (for SWMBO!) but as a concession it would be good to have dinghy sailing from the beach and the option for day sail charter if I can twist her arm.

Could the fine folk of this parish offer any suggestions?

Even if not to a hotel level - any recommendation on which area / Island would be super.

Thanks all

Gruff

flipper

Visit site
I can recommend Koh Samui, an hours flight from Bangkok in the Gulf of Thailand. The flights to Samui run like buses so just turn up and wait for the next one. Not sure about daysailing but there is an ex pat sailing club in Ban Rak (sp)

Cheers
Patrick

bluemoongaffer

Visit site
Try Koh Tao. When we were there in 2009 summer, there was dinghy sailing hire from the main beach. Looked great but ran out of time to try it. Koh Tao is near Koh Samui but much smaller and quieter. Lovely Island with excellent snorkelling and diving. We stayed at Charm Churee. Not the most luxurious hotel but has a semi private beach with excellent swimming / snorkelling and easy walk to town. There was also a round the island sailing trip, I think but didn't check that out.

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
I watched "The Beach" for the first time last night. And added this to the wish-list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Phi_Phi_Lee

Don't be in too much of a rush. We were there in December and the bay was full of motor boats and 'The Beach' was thronged with millions of tourists. We did go back in the evening when it was much quieter, but not like the film!

Having said that, anybody, including the OP can have a great time in Thailand ranging from busy towns and cities to deserted beaches. The sailing's good, although we had flukey winds. For a shore base trip, I would imagine Phi Phi Don would be a good centre, lively in parts, lots of activities/excursions and not too expensive. We had 3 nights moored up there, but took the yacht out each day for a sail around the adjacent islands and beyond.

V1701

Visit site
You could base yourself in Phuket, Krabi or Koh Lanta and have a day trip to Phi Phi. I worked teaching diving on Phi Phi Don for a few months, too many people in a small space for me and too many party animals. I preferred Krabi (mainland) & Koh Lanta, a larger, quieter island. Phuket's big enough to satisfy pretty much any requirements. Do try the diving if you can, it's very good...

lufc71

Visit site
I'd be careful to avoid mid-April if I were you. It'll be Songkran (the Thai New Year). It's a 24 hour a day water fight for nigh on a week. Unless you want to live in a swimming costume you'll quickly run out of dry clothes :)