Terminology

sorehead

N/A
Visit site
A few weeks ago I was at the helm when the skipper asked me to "Steer the boat to within a cable of the north cadinal".

Despite him repeatedly saying "That's good", what was he talking about?

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Was he so terrifying

that you couldn't ask him what he meant? Nobody knows everything and there is no such thing as a stupid question.

There have been several air crashes that were attributed to the extreme grumpiness of the captain, such that the crew felt unable to question his decisions. Not too likely in a yacht but the principle holds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
He was probably advising you to keep clear of the power lines/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
The "boat" is the big white floating pointy thing that you were almost certainly on at the time. And when they say "steer", you would have had to turn the round wheel thing, probably nearish to the back, to make the "boat" go one way or the other.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Or 202 yards, or 101 fathoms

Or slightly fewer metres; it depends on your age. The North Cardinal is the buoy with a black top and a yellow base and two arrow shapes pointing skywards on the top of it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
The helm is an old fashioned hard hat or classic helmet.Some skippers have been known to use an upturned helm as a piss pot ..what were you doing with the helm that the skipper liked so much ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Re: Get a new skipper...!

Dunno! Why not ask him. If thats not possible, then get yourself a new skipper.

At least then you will a) survive, and b) get to learn a bit more about whats happening.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
You forget he might have had a stick to steer with in which case you need to point the stick in the wrong direction to steer....

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
I heard a skipper give instructions to the new helm : "See the red light and the green light at the front. Steer for the mid point between them."

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

sorehead

N/A
Visit site
<<He was probably advising you to keep clear of the power lines>>

No. He wanted me to keep clear of a broaching Oceanis 331. Come to think of it, I read a post on here that your boat broaches quite a bit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
At least it comes upright after a broach ... unlike some others I can think of .. did'nt the earlier Beneteau's sometimes have a problem there? Only really broached the once ..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: Terminology - Broaching

Is this when you pin a bejewelled lump of metal on your sails to attact attention?

<hr width=100% size=1>