Tenders

m1taylor

Visit site
I have got fed up of my small wooden tender - too delicate and unstable, hates an outboard, but rows beautifully. However, the family hate it - children frightened of tippiness, SWMBO fed up with waiting for multiple trips as more than two on board was downright scary! Decided on an inflatable with big tubes - bought a second hand Zodiac 240 with slatted floor. But bought in haste, and now doubts. I thought zodiacs were ok, but valves seem cheap and flimsy - already need to replace one which won't seal, and PVC seems rather light and thin. And only two air chambers - not very much redundancy there! Also, should have gone bigger - maybe 2.6m+. So now thinking was this a mistake? So anyone out there who can put in a good word for the Zodiac 240? The valves look no better than those on beach toys (devlin vavles or something) - do they hold air for more than half an hour? And it is rated for 3 passengers (I think?). What have people found with regard to its actual load capacity?

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Mark,

Don't worry about it mate, Zodiacs are ok; the valves do look a bit cheap but do hold ok, as for loading up, stop em climbing on when the outboard looks like going under, thats about 6 on board.

Don't even think about rowing this in windy conditions. Get hold of a plastic 20 Ltr drum (The square ones) cut the top into a handle and stow the anchor inside, should save a couple of patches inside.

Andavagoodweekend......

Shanty

Visit site
I've the next size up - the 265. I've had it for about ten years now. No problems with the valves, or the fabric.

Usually, I let some of the pressure out of it over the winter, but I forgot to do this last Autumn. Checked it at the weekend - its not going to need any topping up.