Tender Covers

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Eventually had the wires made up to put the 3m rib in the davitts - still some messing about to do changing the arrangement so that the wire does not foul the engine casing etc but will get around that next weekend.
The problem is how to put the tender's cover on with wires passing through it? Are there any slick answers to this? A walk around the Marina did not solve the question. Or do you use slings around the tender?

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Paul, I've seen custom made covers which are split halfway with velcro which allow you to put the cover on when the tender's on the davits but why bother? It only makes more hassle when you want to launch it. I've got a cover for my tender but I only use it when the boats on the hard for winter.
Re slings, it's good practice to use webbing or rope slings under the tender otherwise the weight of the boat is supported entirely on the davit wires. Its also good practice to glue some rubber locators on the tender to stop it shifting about at sea. Slings and locators are usually available from the davit manufacturer

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I am glueing the davit rubber chocks on this weekend.
I am really wanted the cover to protect the tender from UV light etc.
Do the straps/slings attach to the davit wires? If so the load on the wires is the same - or do they just help keep the cover on?

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Tenders do colour fade and get dirty but a good scrub at the end of the season with a proprietary cleaner usually brings them up like new
The slings are most definitely not just to keep the cover on. They attach to an eye at the end of the telescoping section of the davit, go under the tender and are tied off usually on a cleat near the davit base. They're designed to keep the load of the tender off the davit wires as much as possible and distribute the load more evenly. Davit wires and the pulleys/bearings/clutches supporting them can deteriorate over time and with use hence the need to releive the load on them

G

I never had a cover on a dinghy but I did add an extra drain on the port side corner as when on the davits she tended to lean a little to one side and this helped drain any water. I did have a cover on the engine cowling. A little going over with the pressure washer a couple of times a season kept her clean.

Nick