tek dek

G

I'm considering laying a tek dek of southern marine on my bavaria 390. the underlayment of marine ply is still intact, the teak veneer is gone or badly worn out. anybody around who has experiece/advice on this matter?

regards,

Henk Jan ten Brinke

G

Ditto. Except I'm replacing cockpit carpet. Bare Marine (approved installers) reckon labour as about the same as the cost of material. I'd love to know what people think of this stuff. Apparently the inventor is doing his own yacht (the one shown in the photos on the website).

trev

Visit site
Is this the 'rubberised' teak effect stuff we're talking about?
I'm also considering replacing cockpit carpet (usless stuff) with it and also laying it on bathing platform etc.
Be good to hear from someone with experience of the kit and costs of installation/maintenece and the like. Is it cheaper than the real stuff?
Cheers

Trev

G

Yes, it is the rubberised stuff. The website is http://www.southernocean.net/SOME/main_frameset.htm

I've got a small sample, and it loos a bit duff, but they say that it looks a lot better in large areas, and I believe them. I'm convinced enough that I'll probably do it, unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.

Cost wise, I think if you DIY it would be maybe a third of the cost of teak...

G

Ah, yes, I've seen this stuff before. Do you know if it is suitable for an open cockpit boat, though? And how do you do all the nice curved edging bits?

Thanks for the URL, tho...