TEC-7 vs Sikkaflex

skodster

Visit site
I have to go around all fittings, remove, clean and reseal. I have used Sikkaflex for many years but recently used a tube of TEC-7 from B&Q. I was impressed with performance on some applications but doesn't appear to work in places that I thought that it should have.

Removing and resealing all fittings is a lengthy process and I don't want to waste my time in getting it wrong.

Does anyone have the low-down on the advantages and disadvantages of TEC-7 vs Sikkaflex? Which is the better and why?

VicMallows

Visit site
First question is which TEC-7 product you are thinking of using? .. they make quite a few.

If you simply want a cheaper version of standard Sikkaflex 291 (polyurethane sealant/adhesive) I would recommend PU40 (available from Toolstation). However, for deck fittings I would be more likely to choose a silicone sealant. So many choices!! :(

Last edited:

skodster

Visit site
First question is which TEC-7 product you are thinking of using? .. they make quite a few.

If you simply want a cheaper version of standard Sikakaflex 291 (polyurethane sealant/adhesive) I would recommend PU40 (available from Toolstation). However, for deck fittings I would be more likely to choose a silicone sealant. So many choices!! :(

Ah, I thought that it was basically the same product but with variations such as colour? I was also told to steer clear of silicone products as salt water attacks it?

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Ah, I thought that it was basically the same product but with variations such as colour? I was also told to steer clear of silicone products as salt water attacks it?

Salt water doesn't attack silcone but it is very difficult to remove all traces of it later. Better use a polysulfide or polyurethane sealant.

VicS

Visit site
I have to go around all fittings, remove, clean and reseal. I have used Sikkaflex for many years but recently used a tube of TEC-7 from B&Q. I was impressed with performance on some applications but doesn't appear to work in places that I thought that it should have.

Removing and resealing all fittings is a lengthy process and I don't want to waste my time in getting it wrong.

Does anyone have the low-down on the advantages and disadvantages of TEC-7 vs Sikkaflex? Which is the better and why?

TEC7 Sealant is a MS hybrid polymer similar to CT1, which has found favour on these forums, and StixAll, which IIRC Vyv Cox has found to be good.

Sikaflex 291i and 292 are polyurethane adhesive sealants. Likewise PU40 mentioned above by Vic Mallows.

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
I've been using TEC-7 around the house and for specific applications on the boat ( mainly as a glue) for at least seven years.
It is an absolutely excellent product, however IMHO not suited for mounting fittings. If properly cleaned first, it sticks so hard that chunks of fiberglass part from the base. It is water resistant, but NOT suited for skin fittings or other parts permanently immersed.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
I've been using TEC-7 around the house and for specific applications on the boat ( mainly as a glue) for at least seven years.
It is an absolutely excellent product, however IMHO not suited for mounting fittings. If properly cleaned first, it sticks so hard that chunks of fiberglass part from the base. It is water resistant, but NOT suited for skin fittings or other parts permanently immersed.

Do not use sick of flex or trek 7 for deck fittings! Butyl tape works perfectly, remains soft and waterproof, can be removed, is not glue, and can be reused if you have to remove and refit a deck fitting for any reason.

Butyl tape, did I say it before? butyl tape. Don't use anything else for deck fittings. Now I wouldn't use it below the waterline, that would be asking for trouble, but perfect for deck fittings and relatively cheap. None of the problems associated with silicone or polyurethane sealant/glues

Butyl tape