Teak Restorer

Seajet

Visit site
Can someone please remind me, what is the stuff to bring back the colour of bare, grey teak - rather than scrape and sand it ?

Last season I let my teak slat cockpit seats go grey as

A, they are often stood upon and I thought gloss varnish a mistake - never had any slips, just seemed an opportunity to do so especially as crew nowadays aren't used to the boat

B, after 36 years the teak is noticably thinner after all the scraping & sanding.

However I'm not sure I can live any longer with the dull uncared for look,so a way of restoring from bare grey without scraping would be spiffing.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Various products, Starbrite, Wessex Marine, Teak Wonder, all have a cleaner and then a colour restorer. I've used the first 2 with equal success, and heard good reports of teak wonder.

Baku

Visit site
I have used teak wonder on the sidedecks and cockpit for last 6 years on our boat.

3 part process, cleaner, restorer and sealer.

Always very happy with result.

I used to do 2 applications per year, but now use teak wonder in Spring to get the colour back for the Summer and borocol in Oct/Nov to keep the green stuff at bay over the winter.

B

Leighb

Visit site
I have used Teak wonder for several years now. Did the full 3 stage process the first year to sort out black/green wood. Since then I have found that a light sanding followed by 2 coats of the sealer gives a good result for the season.

jac

Visit site
Didn't YM do a test on teak cleaner a month or two ago?? Seemed to remember that starbrite came out tops but was considered too expensive for use on teak decks and another product was recommended for large areas. Can't remember what the product was though!!

Johntheyachty

Visit site
The active ingredient in the various Teak Cleaner/restorers is Oxalic Acid. We buy it from the chemist in powder form,and mix with warm water - about a cupful to half a bucketful of water. Works wonders.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Another vote for Wessex.

BUT, first try using Fairy soap flakes (biological). Mix with cold water, and brush gently across the grain (not with it) and just see what a difference it makes. Wessex of that fails.