teak decks.

aztec

Visit site
i would like to replace my ply wood decks with teak, should i lay teak planks over ply, or should i buy teak faced ply that is made to look like planks?

also should they be screwed and glued or just glued in place?

G

Having experience of old teak decks I would say that the bond between teak and ply is a problem in the long term. Basically the planks try to expand & contract with the weather but the ply stays put! result is leaks and they can be a devil to find because water tracks under planking so you never know where it's comming out. My new boat has plain painter ply - relife.

I would be cautious of teak faced ply as the top layer might be quite thin and wear trough in a few years, then you are back to painted ply, but wery expensivly.

Have heard good things about epoxy bonding 1/4 planking to ply and using epoxy for caulking. effectivly this might result in very heavy teak faced ply which sounds prommising but I havn't sean the result

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

aztec

Visit site
i have looked at a boat simmilar to mine, where teak has been used on top of the ply, and from what you describe looks to have been bonded there. i will know more by the end of the week,

cheers,steve.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Modern thinking goes against screwing the deck down - after all, why drill a thousand holes in something which ought to be entirely waterproof.

Latest 'glues' seem to be up to holding deck down, coping with flex and movement, and providing a waterproof substrate between teak and ply.

aztec

Visit site
cheers chaps, a mate of mine is coming over this weekend to look into replacing the timber, the decks are just one area for improvement.

will ho know what type of glue to use, or could tou advise me.

G

Hi!
I am just about to replace the decking on my 47' motorboat Dreggen ( http://home.world-online.no/~dreggen ). I have studied the topic for a while, and belive that you should go for WBP plywood (for strength and leakproofness). On top of this (4-6mm) up to 1/4" thick lamellas of teak. These are to be embedded in thickened epoxy (white or black colour additive has to be used) and temporarily screwed in place. Your West-system dealer http://www.wessex-resins.com will almost certainly be able to supply you with a brochure telling you all about this. (I got one in norwegian from my local dealer, and it's great with pics and the lot).
I would, however, look around and maybe use some other brand of epoxy than West-system. You'll find similar epoxies for the 1/2 and maybe 1/3 of the price of west-system.
As you open up the deck; Be prepared to find rot on frame-tops and deck beams. And yes: It will take a lot longer to complete the job than anticipated....

Sincerely,

Pelle

aztec

Visit site
cheers, just the info i needed, i have had a woody typr mate look at the boat and these ideas will help him no end.

cheers, steve.