Teak deck caulking choice

Peter

Visit site
Got to do some patch repairs on our teak deck caulking where it has become damaged. The majority is OK and in good condition. Just looking for for alternative caulking coumpounds other than sikaflex for choice, and if used any comments of ease of use and life span. As I am looking to recaulk the whole deck in a couple of years time.

Peter

BabaYaga

Visit site
For patching it would probably be best to use what is already there, if you know.
When I relaid my teak decks three years ago I used this product:

http://www.henkel.com.tw/pdf/Introduction_Sea_Line_100.pdf

which is (or at least was then) used by Hallberg-Rassy and other Orust yards.
So far, no problems. Also easy to work with. But who knows what it will look like in 15 years time...

Before, on the old deck, I sometimes used Sikaflex for patching, with poor results. The seam became hard and lost elasticity after some years. Also tried Simson MSR deck caulking, which performed a little better. The original seams were some kind of silicone and it was always difficult to get good adhesion to these.

Stork_III

Visit site
For patching it would probably be best to use what is already there, if you know.
When I relaid my teak decks three years ago I used this product:

http://www.henkel.com.tw/pdf/Introduction_Sea_Line_100.pdf

which is (or at least was then) used by Hallberg-Rassy and other Orust yards.
So far, no problems. Also easy to work with. But who knows what it will look like in 15 years time...

Before, on the old deck, I sometimes used Sikaflex for patching, with poor results. The seam became hard and lost elasticity after some years. Also tried Simson MSR deck caulking, which performed a little better. The original seams were some kind of silicone and it was always difficult to get good adhesion to these.
HR Parts still sell Sealine 100 silicone caukling. 130Kr/tube. Short shelf life.

Tranona

Visit site
It really depends on what is in there already. There is no point in skimping on materials, even if it is only a short term fix. Sikaflex is the most common material but there are alternatives of similar formulation such as those made by SABA, available from Robbins and cheaper than Sika.

chinita

Visit site
It really depends on what is in there already. There is no point in skimping on materials, even if it is only a short term fix. Sikaflex is the most common material but there are alternatives of similar formulation such as those made by SABA, available from Robbins and cheaper than Sika.

I have used SABA SEAL ONE FAST from these people:

http://www.marineware.com/index.php...fast&catid=107:teak-deck-adhesives&Itemid=107

I agree with Tranona. It is important to use the same as the original if you are trying to 'butt up' to existing caulking. Even then it is unlikely you will get a good result

I suggest you rake out the whole seam to the ends of the plank(s) with the damaged caulking and replace with whatever you choose.

I did the 46ft deck and coachroof of a previous boat A lot of very hard work. Raked out old stuff with a Fein Multimaster and special tool, routed 6mm seams, applied primer, bond breaker tape (4mm) and re-caulked with SABA. After my hand muscles seized I invested in an electric caulking gun.

Marineware have a video demo on their site which makes it look easy - it aint!

saxonpirate

Visit site
Have used Sikaflex for many years in a professional capacity laying cosmetic teak decks. There are three boats in my immediate area with decks laid by myself using Sikaflex 290DC and one of these had her decks refurbished 18 years ago. All seams are still well bonded and watertight. Preparation as always is the key...literally. Wash out seams with an old toothbrush and acetone, prime and apply bond-breaker tape in bottom of seams. Apply Sikaflex hot (tubes in a bucket of hot water or warmed with a heat gun) so that it flows well and takes minimum hand pressure if you don't have an auto-gun.

I have repaired decks where the original sealant was unknown and had good positive results cleaning with acetone and butting up to original with Sika. Haven't had any comebacks so I can't say more than that really. Good luck with your repairs.

A

angelsson

HR Parts still sell Sealine 100 silicone caukling. 130Kr/tube. Short shelf life.

A reply from Henkel to me:

Thank you for your enquiry

The product you refer too, was part of a range of products within our Henkel Building Systems Division, which unfortunately are now no longer available in the UK.

We have nothing similar in our current range of products.

Apologies.

Regards

Mike Lill
Technical Services Manager
Building and Consumer Adhesives AC - UK
Tel No: 01606 542023 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 01606 542023 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Fax No: 01606 863762

PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS
E- Mail: mike.lill@uk.henkel.com

Other threads that may be of interest