Teak cleaning - Wessex Chemicals - with pictures

F33Man

Visit site
Today I decided to clean the teak on our sealine f37 for the 2nd time this season, at the start of the season we used the star brite 3 stage process (cleaner, brightener, oil) however I wasn't very satisfied with the overall result plus the teak started to show black spots due to the teak oil.

After a quick search on the forum to see what products everyone seems to be having good results with I purchased a 2 stage formula made by Wessex Chemicals. The first bottle of chemical is a cleaner and the 2nd is a renovator to bring back the natural colour of the wood. Both applied with a mix of 7:1 ratio of chemicals to water, I used a medium grade sponge to apply the liquid. It's was extremely easy to apply, no tough scrubbing, simply wet the surface, brush on the chemicals, leave for 10 minutes then wash off the chemicals with water - the results are superb - far better than star brite and with a lot less effort!

Here are some pictures showing the before and after

The 4th picture is after the cleaner has been applied, picture 6 is after using the renovator

I would highly recommend this product to everyone - great results and easy to apply!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
We had ours done with the Wessex stuff but with the addition of the sealant, which prolongs the finish and gives some protection against spills in the cockpit. Great stuff.

CharlieAlpha

Visit site
I suspect Greg used the same as me 'Semco' natural finsh as I think we followed the same advice. It produces a great result and maintains the work of the 2 part cleaner. Having seen friends boats and heard other accounts I would advise never to use Teak oil, except for your garden furniture.IMG-20130905-00045.jpg

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
I suspect Greg used the same as me 'Semco' natural finsh as I think we followed the same advice. It produces a great result and maintains the work of the 2 part cleaner. Having seen friends boats and heard other accounts I would advise never to use Teak oil, except for your garden furniture.View attachment 35315

Yep, that's right Chris. Seems to do a good job.

Seastoke

Visit site
sounds great going to get some has anyone repaired in between the wood and where did you get the wessex