Teak and Holly cabin sole alternatives - hard wearing req!

Hoist

Visit site
Hi, I just removed the teak and holly floor from our cruiser racer. Emphasis on the racer side!

It looks like some kind of cheap laminate and around the keel stepped mast its got damp and rotten.

I have never been happy with it, its an awkward colour, had chips and bad bits particularly at the corners since we bought the boat.

I am happy to use the current floor as a template, but i was wondering if there were any good cabin sole alternatives that don't involve, laminates, glueing fiddly jobs

I just want to cut it out and put it in. I was thinking there must be some sort of flooring material with a bit of texture to it for some grip.

Treadmaster inside would be a big no no

Hoist

Visit site
Looks amazing, but really not in my forte, timescale. I think you missed the part about not doing any glueing or fiddly jobs!

Hoist

Visit site
thanks but that really does not suit my circumstances. I am looking for an easier option not an expensive or time consuming one

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Robbins fake teak & holly laminate flooring. Almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Very tough. Can be bought already applied to plywood or just the laminate 1mm thick sheets of 8' x 4'.

Marine Plywood & Panel Supplier UK

It's the proper job with a lot less bovver. Commonly used in new builds now.

Last edited:

KevinV

Visit site
I just want to cut it out and put it in. I was thinking there must be some sort of flooring material with a bit of texture to it for some grip.
Altro flooring would fit the bill - not pretty, but endless grip - as used in professional kitchens.

pcatterall

Visit site
Hi, I just removed the teak and holly floor from our cruiser racer. Emphasis on the racer side!

It looks like some kind of cheap laminate and around the keel stepped mast its got damp and rotten.

I have never been happy with it, its an awkward colour, had chips and bad bits particularly at the corners since we bought the boat.

I am happy to use the current floor as a template, but i was wondering if there were any good cabin sole alternatives that don't involve, laminates, glueing fiddly jobs

Treadmaster inside would be a big no no
I think you just need some external ply. Paint or varnish to your taste!! Or use exterior wall emulsion which has sand in it. I understand your focus on function rather than aesthetics.

harvey38

Visit site
Robbins fake teak & holly laminate flooring. Almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Very tough. Can be bought already applied to plywood or just the laminate 1mm thick sheets of 8' x 4'.

Marine Plywood & Panel Supplier UK

It's the proper job with a lot less bovver. Commonly used in new builds now.
I've got two sheets of it ready to bond to the new ply sole boards I have made, it is very attractive and seems very hard wearing.

michael_w

Visit site
Years ago I sailed on a boat that had stud rubber as a sole material. Grippy, warm on the toes, tough as old boots and available in a wide range of colours.

Hoist

Visit site
Was actually thinking about this as an alternative however in the meantime I've found somebody making boards a lot cheaper than Robbins. Just waiting on a sample arriving.
ac6c88457c67473e51296902a7bcb6a5.png

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I was thinking of a rubber product similar to that as deck covering but being black would be too hot underfoot in full sunshine.

Would need to be a light gray in colour to reduce heat build up