Taylors Stove and Heater

JonnieFlamingo

Visit site
Hi,
With my current project www.justflamingo.com I acquired a Taylors Cooker (030 I think) and a Taylors Heater for £100 each. Both are in pretty poor condition and I have been quoted £1500 to restore them to their former glory... thing is I can't decide whether to go ahead with the restoration and fit them in the boat, or go ahead and then sell them and get a gas or spirit stove and use the change for other boaty stuff I need, or just offer them up for sale without restoring them.... £1500 is a lot, but compared to new ones its a bargain..... anyone got any advice/ideas on how much they might sell for?
J

Tranona

Visit site
Is that having Blakes do it? Restoring should be mostly a DIY job and well worth doing as they (particularly the stove) are great bits of kit.

Spuddy

Visit site
There's a German firm do improved burners....sorry haven't got a link. As for the rest could it be mostly cosmetic and can you live with it? I've got a stove on my boat and use it without problems but for quick heating up use a camping stove on top.
If you decide to cash in, I installed an Origo on my last boat and it worked fine for me. even when living aboard for 6 months at a time.

RobinBirch

Visit site
Echoing previous posts. I've got an 029 on my Hillyard - love it. The cookers are pretty basic with not much to go wrong. I know you've got an awful lot on but my advice would be to have a go at cleaning it/them up and give it a bench test. There are threads on these forums with guys running these things off plastic pressure tanks etc. Cooker tops can be re stove enameled etc. You may save some cash.

Poignard

Visit site
I've got a old seagull outboard for that...also not sure it would be enough to hold Flamingo..., obviously gas is easy but I'm torn between ease of operation and keeping the look and feel more 'authentic'

You could always cheat a bit and convert it to gas :D. Taylors did make a gas version of their cooker.

sideshowbob

Visit site
Thats the fella (John) who used to be Taylors engineer. Offered some good advise and knows his onions. We have a O29 Kerosene and the pump on the tank is probably knackered, same on the Victory heater. I hadnt used a Taylors cooker in anger before but though its a faff /fussy I love the cooker and forgive its quirks. Dont know about the heater as have yet to get a squeak out of it. Would prefer not to have gas nowadays (and have always used gas). Probably a better bet for a heater would be a charcoal Pascal Atkey unit but they get scary hot. As another poster says try and do the work yourself, get a S/H tank and buy the parts as and where you can. I saw your boat at Baltic Wharf and did consider having a closer look but a bit too much of a project for us. If funds are short just use a camping gas cooker, screw on cylinder, short term for the boat. Its as much in the character of the boat and I bet you will regret getting rid.

Spuddy

Visit site
Only other drawback I've heard for Taylirs stove is that liable to carbon up if used at less than full blast. Is this so?
For a sort of simmer I've put the round plate in the hole and placed pan on top.

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Only other drawback I've heard for Taylors stove is that liable to carbon up if used at less than full blast. Is this so?
For a sort of simmer I've put the round plate in the hole and placed pan on top.
Not heard of that one. I've been using my 029 for years, it's brilliant. As said you can get new burners from Toplicht.
Turning the control fully left pricks the jet to clean it.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Only other drawback I've heard for Taylirs stove is that liable to carbon up if used at less than full blast. Is this so?
They carbon up if not primed sufficiently and if turned low in the right conditions it's not unfeasable that the burner could cool down enough for it to flare up. I can't say I've ever had, or seen that happen though.