Tattinger Regatta

flaming

Visit site
Anyone else doing it?

Magic will be in a very competitive looking IRC4

We'll be there. Looking like the best fleet we've sailed against in a long time, and the hint of some breeze... would be handy if they put the ratings on the website though, or even just the boat types, there's a fair few names I've never come across before, so no idea how big our class is really going to be!

flaming

Visit site
I'm also hoping for slightly better results than last year, which I think was the only regatta I've ever sailed where we were flat last without any gear failure.

Judders

Visit site
Well that was an absolute cracker of a regatta, even if we did manage to turn an decent result into a bang average one with some hungover strategic errors on Sunday. Definatgely putting that on the programme again.

flaming

Visit site
Well that was an absolute cracker of a regatta, even if we did manage to turn an decent result into a bang average one with some hungover strategic errors on Sunday. Definatgely putting that on the programme again.

grumble grumble... one way race courses... grumble grumble.... short tacking up the shore with a 2.3m keel.... grumble grumble...

But yes, had an excellent time, even if I didn't get there in time for any champagne on the Friday!

Judders

Visit site
Yeah, the courses were pretty processional but what else could a race committee do with that combination of weather and tide? We did well out of the tacking duels even though our echo sounder packed in (what marvellous timing)

I'd have liked to gybe at some point. We genuinely did the whole regatta with no spinnaker gybe.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
Yeah, the courses were pretty processional but what else could a race committee do with that combination of weather and tide? We did well out of the tacking duels even though our echo sounder packed in (what marvellous timing)

I'd have liked to gybe at some point. We genuinely did the whole regatta with no spinnaker gybe.

We did one gybe.

I guess they could run racing in Christchurch bay...? It's not actually a criticism of the race committee, more the reality of racing in that part of the Solent. 2 races on the Sunday would be nice though, and a 10 minute gap between starts is a little old school.

Judders

Visit site
We did one gybe.

Well there's the irony, we went 'round the top mark on Sunday with two other boats and gybe set so that we laid the mark, the other two and indeed all but two of the class went out across to the island shore before gybing and despite sailing half a mile further ended up 400 yards in front of us. Given that we caught them and passed them before the end, I hate to think how many places that cost us on handicap!