'tarpentime'

tonyg

Visit site
\'tarpentime\'

Can anyone throw any light on 'polytarps', seemingly used in the U.S.(according to forums) as cheapo sails? Can they be of the material found in builders merchants- some kind of woven plastic with a sealed plastic(?) surface, and eyelets and costing about £3-00 an acre?

G

Yus

I think it's the largely blue stuff that you see everywhere now.

I remember seeing it working well on a land yacht carrying three or four hefty blokes built on Scrapheap Challenge ( the best thing on British TV at the moment ? )

p.s. I notice from your I.D that you are retired and own a 17 foot gaffer. Either you must be pretty skint at the moment or intend upgrading in a big big way. Please state your intentions so we can all make a contribution.

chippie

Visit site
Re: \'tarpentime\'

I have seen them recommended on boating sites everywhere including woodenboat .net.nz . They seem to be used mainly for small craft.
The building wrap with the tradename 'TYVEK' looks eminently suitable for smallcraft light air sails, it even feels somewhat like spinnaker fabric. For this, taping rather than stitching seems the way to go.

tonyg

Visit site
Re: Yus

Many thanks to all replyies, and ref 'Yus's comment, no, I can't think 'skint' or upgrading in a big big way are apt categories, but after forty years of living in Scotland, lets just say that unwarranted expediture on even luxuries such as food and clothes are examined very carefully, and the hat will be passed around shortly!
Thanks muchly, once again.Tonyg.