Taransay Anchorages

AMOREST

Visit site
Hi. Anyone care to share anchoring experience on Taransay / West loch Tarbert Harris

Nice settled outlook and a day or so after Springs.

Presently in Tarbert Harris - sunny and calm

Thanks.

Sea Change

Visit site
Have anchored there a few times, in three different places.
The main recognised anchorage is on the south side of the isthmus. From memory, it's pretty straightforward.
We've also used the other side of the isthmus when the wind was SE, and that was good too.
The third option we tried was a little bay on the W end of the island, north shore. A bit stoney and less space than the others.

ctva

Visit site
Loch na h-Uidhe is lovely, clean sand with only the reef in the entrance to watch out for. I remember that when we landed on the beach, the sand was so soft each step sunk in by 3-4”. Beautiful.

Last edited:

NormanS

Visit site
Loch Uidhe is an excellent and beautiful anchorage, provided that there's no south in the wind. In a south wind, the sandy bay north of the sand spit at Corran Raah is better. I've also anchored in Loch Togul, and also off a very small sandy cove, just east of the south point of the island.

jlavery

Visit site
Just arrived in Loch Na H-Uidhe. Nice and sheltered. 3 boats here. Plenty of room. Looking good for today and tomorrow at least.

NormanS

Visit site
Lovely and easy walk up Beinn na h-Uidhe, close to the anchorage, gives great views / photos.

Also possibly the closest anchorage to St Kilda - will the forecast suit?
See if you can find the mill stone near the top of the hill. And wonder 🤔

jlavery

Visit site
Lovely and easy walk up Beinn na h-Uidhe, close to the anchorage, gives great views / photos.

Also possibly the closest anchorage to St Kilda - will the forecast suit?
Yup, just been to top, great.

20 kts northerly tomorrow, wind good for St Kilda, but think the resulting N or NE swell would make anchorage very uncomfortable. I did consider it!

AMOREST

Visit site
I did start this thread with a prospect of heading from Tarbert to Taransay today. (Ellan Vannin).
Thanks for all your comments and anchorage info.

We ended up a bit further South - had a cracking sail to Hourneray - champagne sailing conditions.

Enjoy the West with a good blow tomorrow.

Other threads that may be of interest