Tanning a sail the modern way?

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I have an old trysail that was original with the boat – it is heavy cream flax cotton but as it is rarely used, has started to develop some signs mildew; probably from being stored and never being used. I was thinking of tanning the sail to give it better protection, but wondering what modern-day tanning would be an effective preservative whilst providing a lovely colour – any suggestions?

sarabande

Visit site
I'm tempted to say Jeyes fluid, it would certainly keep the flies away.

Perhaps an email to Dylon ?

http://www.dylon.co.uk/

though I suspect you may be in for a lot of heaving the sail into a vat of hot water, mordant and fixative.

FWIW I spent a happy hour this morning removing a broken bag of last year's sheep clip (wool) from a stable. Where the wool had been in contact with the stable floor (cow and horse muck) it was very brown, and the yolk (lanolin) was almost bright red.

petehitch

googlemail.com
I have just used a product called Hydrolin on 2 Duradon sails. I am very pleased with the results, it seems to have given the sails a new lease of life. Easy to apply with a roller and dries quickly.
It is a Dutch product but I bought from toplicht.de.
I recommend it.

BobPrell

Visit site
unboiled I assume?

I was hoping you would not ask actually. I would suggest experimenting. I did this about 15 years ago and it was probably unboiled, because it was mostly sold in that form at the time.

I have not tried to buy any for years now. Do young chaps oil their cricket bats any more?

The samples I did came out a good colour and stayed nice and flexible, so probably unboiled.

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
I was hoping you would not ask actually. I would suggest experimenting. I did this about 15 years ago and it was probably unboiled, because it was mostly sold in that form at the time.

I have not tried to buy any for years now. Do young chaps oil their cricket bats any more?

The samples I did came out a good colour and stayed nice and flexible, so probably unboiled.

You can still get raw unboiled linseed.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I have just used a product called Hydrolin on 2 Duradon sails. I am very pleased with the results, it seems to have given the sails a new lease of life. Easy to apply with a roller and dries quickly.
It is a Dutch product but I bought from toplicht.de.
I recommend it.

I am still awaiting a response from toplicht, but I assume the product is Tan in colour?

petehitch

googlemail.com
Hi ,
I used dunkelbraun which is a dark tan colour. They also do clear, red and green??
I found it an excellent product and am very pleased with the result. I will try and post some photos later.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
5 gallons of water in the bath and add a box of 240 tea bags ... Typhoo recommended ... alternatively if you can run to loose leaf tea you'll find this gives a better colour. You'll need to tread on the sails for at least half an hour but this will give your legs a bit of a strange colour .. best to wear your sailing boots - on no account wear gardening boots. The sails need to be hung on the washing line till dry when you'll find tan sails even St.Tom Cunliffe would be proud of ... they're also good for standing under on hot rainy days ... add sugar to taste.

(1/4/11)

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
5 gallons of water in the bath and add a box of 240 tea bags ... Typhoo recommended ... alternatively if you can run to loose leaf tea you'll find this gives a better colour. You'll need to tread on the sails for at least half an hour but this will give your legs a bit of a strange colour .. best to wear your sailing boots - on no account wear gardening boots. The sails need to be hung on the washing line till dry when you'll find tan sails even St.Tom Cunliffe would be proud of ... they're also good for standing under on hot rainy days ... add sugar to taste.

(1/4/11)

Indeed. I hear hibiscus juice works well for the tropics too

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I am still awaiting a response from toplicht, but I assume the product is Tan in colour?

this is what they wrote to me:

> Sehr geehrter TOPLICHT-Kunde,
> vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.
> Auch in der Zeit schneller anonymer Kommunikationsmedien ist uns am
> persönlichen Kontakt zu unseren Kunden gelegen. Um Sie schnell und
> kompetent beraten und bedienen zu können, benötigen wir daher Ihre
> vollständige (Firmen-) Adresse mit Ihrer Telefon- und Faxnummer und
> möglichst Ihrer Mobiltelefonnummer.
> Bitte senden Sie uns Ihre Anfrage mit diesen wichtigen Informationen.
> Oder rufen Sie uns doch direkt an- die meisten Fragen lassen sich im
> Gespräch besser und eindeutiger klären.
> Wir freuen uns auf Ihre Rückantwort
>
> Ihre TOPLICHT- Crew

you have answered my question though, so thanks. I will get some on order.