Tamar 24

davel

Visit site
A friend of mine is considering one of these and is looking for any opinions on them from owners or former owners.

He's looking for a day sailer/motor sailer for costal and river use where sailing performance isn't a top priority but access to shoal waters is important.

Can anyone help?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I have no experience of them, but can tell you Hoskyn's Yacht Directory says of them:

"Centre cockpit, aft cabin cruiser from mid-1970s. Well made, looks good, useful layout inc. separate w.c., modest headroom and performance. 24' LOA x 8' beam x 3' draft (long fin). 4 berths. Engine usually Petter 6hp diesel."

LittleSister

Visit site
Hoskyn's Yacht Directory sounds like it is an interesting publication, who publishes it?

It used to be published by Marine Bureau of Rye (01797 224846?). I bought mine years ago. I'm not sure, but I think it was put together by a broker at the same address. I doubt they're still there, but I don't know. They used to do separate volumes for sailing boats 25 foot and under; 25 TO 32 feet; 32 to 90 feet; and motor sailers 20 to 70 feet.

Seachest bookshop sell publications called 'The Good Yacht Guide' which has similarly grouped volumes, but I've not seen them so don't know if it's the same thing updated.

Red Admiral

Visit site
Thanks for that reference.
Any more from any more?
I believe the Tamar 24 was a development of the Buckler (Bowie) which was described by one report as "quirky design from the 70s with the centre cockpit and raised poop deck over aft 'Great Cabin' giving the appearance of a miniature galleon"! A friend who used to sail one claimed that the boat was better than it looked!

My source is The Good Yacht Guide published by Marine Bureau, Oast House, Wittersham, Kent TN30 7EA Tel: 01797270181. Don't know whether they still exist.

LittleSister

Visit site
I believe the Tamar 24 was a development of the Buckler (Bowie) which was described by one report as "quirky design from the 70s with the centre cockpit and raised poop deck over aft 'Great Cabin' giving the appearance of a miniature galleon"! A friend who used to sail one claimed that the boat was better than it looked!

My source is The Good Yacht Guide published by Marine Bureau, Oast House, Wittersham, Kent TN30 7EA Tel: 01797270181. Don't know whether they still exist.

It is the Buckler described above. The Buckler Bowie has a more conventional aft cockpit.

We are looking at the same publication - Hoskyn's Yacht Directory/Good Yacht Guide - I now realise. I imagine the phone number (and address) given here is more recent than the one I quoted, and that the 'Good Yacht Guide' publications sold by Seachest Nautical Bookshop (see my earlier post) are more recent versions of what I was quoting as 'Hoskyn's Yacht Directory'.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Hello Dave,

Here is a scanned copy of a catalogue I have from September 1977 - I think the sloop rig version looks rather nice (light years better than a Buckler 24!), although the version with the hard dodger is probably more practical for your latitudes.

Tamar24P1.jpg

Tamar24P2.jpg

Tamar24P3.jpg

Tamar24P4.jpg

Tamar24P5.jpg

Tamar24P6.jpg

Tamar24P7.jpg

Tamar24P8.jpg