Tally Ho

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Just watched Leo’s latest video, that he put up today.
At 28:46 there is a side shot and I think that it is an optical illusion in that the water line looks horizontal but the roof ridge looks like it slopes down to the right, ie not parallel.

Are my eyes fooling me?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Just watched Leo’s latest video, that he put up today.
At 28:46 there is a side shot and I think that it is an optical illusion in that the water line looks horizontal but the roof ridge looks like it slopes down to the right, ie not parallel.

Are my eyes fooling me?

This is the picture that Doug refers to.

Is the effect an optical illusion caused by the sheerline rising towards the bow?

CB6972BD-1731-4B28-A165-2C2D3EEEBC5A.jpeg

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I don't understand the question and can't see anything wrong. The waterline is intended to be as close as possible to the one Strange envisaged.
It isn't parallel to the sheer, or planking, or the coachroof if any, or to the tarpaulin shed.

( I have a curvaceous wooden boat, and it looks a totally different depending what angle you are looking from! )

agurney

agurney.com
There's a slight slope down on the roof from right to left.
It's called perspective, as you would have been taught in elementary drawing/art classes.
The waterline is horizontal because it is at the viewer's eye level; extend the roof ridge to the left and it will "appear" to meet an extension of the waaterline at the (imaginary) vanishing point on the horizon.

Lens distortion is almost non-existent.

38mess

Visit site
There's a slight slope down on the roof from right to left.
It's called perspective, as you would have been taught in elementary drawing/art classes.
The waterline is horizontal because it is at the viewer's eye level; extend the roof ridge to the left and it will "appear" to meet an extension of the waaterline at the (imaginary) vanishing point on the horizon.

Lens distortion is almost non-existent.
You must have good eyes ?

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
OK so it is my eyes.

Moving on.

Do you think that Leo is currently moving 'Tally Ho' to Port Townsend now?

IE last two weeks resulted in a video 'review of all to date' in 27 minutes.
He now has nearly two more weeks to produce the next video if he keeps to his production schedule..

So I do wonder if he is in the process of transferring 'Tally Ho' to Port Townsend ?

Wansworth

Visit site
Working at David Hillyard for awhile the boss was called in to opinion on the sheer plank shape.He didn’t have much space to view it and in my opinion seeing it afloat was he got it wrong and the stern ran off instead of up.

HissyFit

Visit site
It's the wood roof not the plastic covered bit.

It was down to my eyes and an optical illusion.
Ah, I see. There's no saying that the hull runs parallel with the walls of the workshop and roof line in the vertical plane, so even if all were parallel to the ground there would likely be a visual disparity in a 2D photograph.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
He replaced virtually all of the timber.
Even using two pieces in each of the frames instead of one.

Here he has removed the loose ballast lead in the bilges and was melting it to cast it on the top of the original keel.

He said original keel had at least one void in it, plus now several cracks after the pour.

In the interest of safety, piece of mind and longevity it would appear that the best way forward would be to melt and recast the existing keel.

Remember too that in future it is not only his life that will be at stake if the keel breaks up and falls off while at sea.

The floor braces were replaced - with bronze - completely different to the iron originals.

I think that the keel should be recast.

Last edited: