Taking boat to Poole at Easter - recommendations wanted

SeacretSailor

Visit site
Looking for recommendations of where to take our 19” bowrider in Poole over Easter. We want to poodle round the waters do some waterskiing / tubing (weather permitting). We would like to have the boat moored up in a convenient place with accommodation nearby. Ideally looking for quirky accommodation for our young family of 4. Beach hut, log cabin etc.
We have never been to Poole so at a loss where to start. Any advice appreciated.

scotty123

Visit site
Looking for recommendations of where to take our 19” bowrider in Poole over Easter. We want to poodle round the waters do some waterskiing / tubing (weather permitting). We would like to have the boat moored up in a convenient place with accommodation nearby. Ideally looking for quirky accommodation for our young family of 4. Beach hut, log cabin etc.
We have never been to Poole so at a loss where to start. Any advice appreciated.
Baiter Park or Rockley are the easiest, also Ham Common near the SBS base, have launching sites.
Rockley has a caravan park & a sailing centre for youngsters.https://www.rockley.org/watersports

Oscar24

Visit site
Poole is a very nice area to explore. The harbour has a 10 knot limit for most of the season but there is a ski area up near Rockley park, Theres also a camp site.
Rockley Park Caravan Holiday Park in Poole | Haven/
Not sure if boats are allowed, would need to check.
The studland / shell bay area outside the harbour is very nice depending on the weather and ideal for some tubing, and Swanage is not too far either.
The Wareham channel can be quite shallow as is most of the harbour tbh,

dpb

Visit site
At Rockley you can hire a mobile home on a fully serviced Holiday park (bars, shop, pool, restaurant....the lot) and keep your boat at the on site facility, which is run as a separate operation, it can be hard to find the right contact for the boating part though! Slip way is good so everything you need on one site.
Baiter ok only at high tide as the ramp quickly becomes almost flat! Also the location is exposed so can be choppy. Parking is non secure pay per day. It is not a good launch site but it is a cheaper option.
The best facilities are at Davis Boatyard and Cobbs Quay next door to each other in Hamworthy, both will allow you to launch, store your trailer and give you a pontoon all tide mooring. Cobbs is the more expensive but there is always someone there so can be more user freindly.
Can't help you to much with the accomodation as we live in Poole so don't need it. All I know is that there is loads in the area. Might be an option to keep the boat at Poole Yacht haven and find accomodation within walking distance in Poole Old Town.
No tubing in the harbour, you'll need to go to Studland Bay for that. Skiing ok in the Wareham Channel.
Trip to Wareham is worth the trouble, dont be afraid to raft up to other boats if no room at the quay when you get there.
The waters all the way to Swanage are sheltered from prevailing winds so good days out to Swanage and Studland are usually easy to do.
It is a great boating area so you should have lots of fun.....
Look forward to the post of your adventures.

scotty123

Visit site
At Rockley you can hire a mobile home on a fully serviced Holiday park (bars, shop, pool, restaurant....the lot) and keep your boat at the on site facility, which is run as a separate operation, it can be hard to find the right contact for the boating part though! Slip way is good so everything you need on one site.
Baiter ok only at high tide as the ramp quickly becomes almost flat! Also the location is exposed so can be choppy. Parking is non secure pay per day. It is not a good launch site but it is a cheaper option.
The best facilities are at Davis Boatyard and Cobbs Quay next door to each other in Hamworthy, both will allow you to launch, store your trailer and give you a pontoon all tide mooring. Cobbs is the more expensive but there is always someone there so can be more user freindly.
Can't help you to much with the accomodation as we live in Poole so don't need it. All I know is that there is loads in the area. Might be an option to keep the boat at Poole Yacht haven and find accomodation within walking distance in Poole Old Town.
No tubing in the harbour, you'll need to go to Studland Bay for that. Skiing ok in the Wareham Channel.
Trip to Wareham is worth the trouble, dont be afraid to raft up to other boats if no room at the quay when you get there.
The waters all the way to Swanage are sheltered from prevailing winds so good days out to Swanage and Studland are usually easy to do.
It is a great boating area so you should have lots of fun.....
Look forward to the post of your adventures.
Don't forget the speed limits in the harbour & use the small boat channels inside & studland side.

Phildorset

Visit site
When does speed limit come back into force? It’s relaxed in main channel for much of the winter I think? You can pay on the water for a days use of waterski area which is up towards the top of the harbour and usefully close to Rockley park. If you have time then pootling up to Wareham for lunch at the Granery Pub is a treat and worth the effort. Mooring space at Wareham can be tight but don’t be put off, it’s worth the effort and you can see your boat from the pub should you need to be tied outside another. Have fun.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Wel my latest speed boat was bought from Poole and when the previous owner took me out for the trial he did 46 knots... I had no idea he should not have done this mind you there was no one on the water

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I just looked at Google Earth and my boat was bought from Ridge Yacht centre and there seems to be a camp/caravan site there it was on the River frome and was a very nice area

scotty123

Visit site
Wel my latest speed boat was bought from Poole and when the previous owner took me out for the trial he did 46 knots... I had no idea he should not have done this mind you there was no one on the water
There was a rumour, that a certain local nightclub owner, was caught by the harbour master, speeding out of the harbour.
Thats a £xyz fine he was told.
He handed a cheque over for double the amount, much to the HM suprise.
Why twice the amount was the query?
Well, i'll need it when I come back in, was the answer.

Paul mavin

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! ??
We have now booked in at Rockley. Kids can’t wait. Will report back on our findings.
Hi there , just following your thread on rocky Park. I am look to berth a 28ft sports cruiser there in 2021 and am finding it hard to get hold of anyone to speak too. how have you found things in your first season so far? any tips ?