Tachometers for a Yanmar 1GM10

John7

Visit site
I have a Yanmar 1GM10 engine. I fitted an hour counter last year but am finding need an idea of what revs its doing. At present we run the control at 15 past the hour for cruising and maximum is about 25 past. The speed we get is less than we would have expected, (Vergo Voyager 23ft, bilge, 2 tones and bulky) at just under 3 knots. The only way I can see of knowing what speed the engine should be running at is fitting a tachometer. I don’t have space for the larger Yanmar panel and had to put the hour counter in a different location.

What I would like ideas on is how easy fitting one would be, what types are there, what others experiences have been with them.

Many thanks in advance.

davidwf

Visit site
Rather than fit a tachmometer, what about hiring a portable instrument from a hire shop. This would allow you to check the speed of the engine under sea trials and determine what's going on. It may be a simple case of adjusting the throttle cable to allow the engine to get to max revs, 3 knots seems slow.

brian_neale

Visit site
Hour counters?

John,

what hour counter did you fit? I am looking for one to go on a 3GM, but have not seen anything in the catalogues. I assume that this is just a electronic counter fed from the "ignition" switch and they are all more-or-less interchangeable?

thanks,

John7

Visit site
Re: Hour counters?

Sorry I don't recall the make. To make things easy I had bought a vibration one initially but as it logged up time traveling in the car it went back fast. Yes its wired up to the starter switch, the biggest job was making the hole for it. I had to use bulkhead space as I had no room on the instrument/power panel. When I get a tachometer sorted out I will have to do the same, but this time mealy extend the hour counter wiring. (The hole is another thing). The hour counter is useful no more trying to enter in the log the time running the engine.
My chandlers had them, TCS, and A.S.A.P list a number.

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
I have a 23ft Halcyon and the same diesel. I get 5-6 knots maybe more flat out depending on tide and wind.

Fitting a tacho seems a bit of overkill, there is obviously a problem. The engine is not what you'd call a high revver anyway - you can hear whether its singing along or just rumbling slowly I would have thought. Recheck your throttle linkage to see you get full power. What prop are you using? Mine is a 3 blade 12 x 9. If your prop is the wrong pitch that's the problem.

brian_neale

Visit site
Re: Hour counters?

Thanks for the pointer to ASAP. I had not heard of them before, but have now seen two references to them this evening and have also tracked down their web site. Looks like a useful place!