Tachometer Lens

Ian_Rob

Visit site
The ‘glass’ on my rev counter has become very cloudy, much worse than it appears in this old photo. I understand that it can be removed and polished with Autosol. Does anybody happen to know how it comes off? Do I have to take the whole panel off or is it retained by the surrounding bezel that is just prised off?

Attachments

• IMG_3050.jpeg
    IMG_3050.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 32

wonkywinch

Visit site
Is it worth just polishing the outside first and see how it looks? Car headlights with plastic lenses go cloudy, yellowed & crazed but only ever need the outside polishing since you can't take them apart anyhow.

For cleaning up, I've used Novus plastic polish on headlights, light aircraft windows etc to good effect. It comes in 3 grades, worth buying the set.

lustyd

Visit site
Despite not the same instrument, the housing would be similar:
I did mine recently using that video and it was surprisingly different but similar in a lot of ways.
Mine had a metal bar holding it in at the rear, remove two thumb screws to remove the bar.
Next the unit twists (gently!) to remove. Doesn’t unscrew it’s a 1/4 turn if that. The bezel does push out forwards but may be attached to the plate with sealant.
Then remove the screws from rear of unit and the unit needs to turn to release. I’m not certain this is needed to remove the lens, but was for the lcd replacement.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Even through it had Volvo Penta marking it will be a VDO manufacturer.

The bezel is removed by twisting it 90 degrees to the right and once removed the lense can be prised out from the front.

I have had several on my various boats

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If the bezel is metal, which it seems to be, it does not twist to remove. You have a job prising the metal bezels off and getting them back on without damaging them.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
All very useful background info. Thanks very much.

VDO tachs, if the same or compatible with the EVC that I have, appear to be very much cheaper than the prices I have seen for the Volvo part. I don’t need to replace the whole unit, just sort the lens, but good to know.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
All very useful background info. Thanks very much.

VDO tachs, if the same or compatible with the EVC that I have, appear to be very much cheaper than the prices I have seen for the Volvo part. I don’t need to replace the whole unit, just sort the lens, but good to know.
EVC is irrelevant to the tacho. You don't have to stick with Volvo or VDO, for instance, KUS, an example here : KUS Tachometer Gauge Marine Boat Car Truck LCD Hourmeter RPM Gauge 4000RPM | eBay

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Many years ago I bought a fire damaged Honda motorbike. It was brand new but had suffered in a showroom fire.

The seat back, tank, fenders and sidepanels were re-painted, new footresr rubbers, cables and handlebar rubbers were fitted along with new handlebar switches which had melted.

The Speedo and Tacho lenses were U/S. The needles could not be seen through the sagging and melted lenses.

A helmet visor meant for a jet style helmet was used to make two new lenses. Lasted for years. At the time the visors were about two quid. New Speedo and Tacho about ninety.

No brainer.............................

lustyd

Visit site
The bezel is removed by twisting it 90 degrees to the right and once removed the lense can be prised out from the front.
They're all a bit different so please be careful giving such confident instructions as it encourages people to confidently follow them! I nearly broke mine following the above video assuming it was the same as mine (it looks identical in every way!)

rogerthebodger

Visit site
They're all a bit different so please be careful giving such confident instructions as it encourages people to confidently follow them! I nearly broke mine following the above video assuming it was the same as mine (it looks identical in every way!)

Cannot comment on your Tacho but looking the pic the OP posted it is Identical to my YDO tachos

The smiths tchos on all my classic cars are crimped so are quite different.

The bezel in the OP's pic show a round bezel that can be replaced with a square bezel

Twist off bezel
Weiterleitungshinweis

Crimped bezel
Weiterleitungshinweis

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Cannot comment on your Tacho but looking the pic the OP posted it is Identical to my YDO tachos

The smiths tchos on all my classic cars are crimped so are quite different.

The bezel in the OP's pic show a round bezel that can be replaced with a square bezel

Twist off bezel
Weiterleitungshinweis

Crimped bezel
Weiterleitungshinweis
I think you are mistaken Roger. The OP's bezel is not the same as the one in your first link, it is a metal bezel, which will not be removable how you describe.

Also, the plastic bezels that i have seen rotate anti-clockwise as viewed from the front. Your may differ, but i've not seen any that rotate clockwise to remove.