Tacho not reading

yahoo.co.uk
Betamarine 28hp with Control panel. Key start. Tacho inoperative and no lights on panel. Engine starts fine but ignition buzzer stays on even when revved up. Three warning lights bulbs all good. Water temp gauge working ok, separate installation but power from ignition switch. Suspect battery not charging but no volt meter on board. Is it possible to check alternator with a light on cable? Have checked main wiring loom multi socket, all clean and contacts good. Any advice appreciated.

Supertramp

Visit site
Check all the connections to the alternator match the Beta wiring diagram. Also check the big connector to the ignition panel is secure and connected - mine needed some tape to stop it working loose. My sensing wire connection came adrift and gave those symptoms and no charging.

Minerva

Visit site
First step: buy or borrow a multimeter and check voltage of batteries when engine running - should be ~14v.

If it’s not then your alternator needs attention. (You’ve / a crew haven’t inadvertently turned the 1/2/both switch to “off” with the engine running by any chance…?

If the voltage is correct and showing charging then the problem is between the alternator and the panel. Check all connections for corrosion / poor contact.

yahoo.co.uk
Check all the connections to the alternator match the Beta wiring diagram. Also check the big connector to the ignition panel is secure and connected - mine needed some tape to stop it working loose. My sensing wire connection came adrift and gave those symptoms and no charging.
Connection are correct as per wiring diagram. And multi connector is sound. Which is sensor wire?

Supertramp

Visit site
Comes from the back of the alternator. Mine has two (which is why I missed the broken brown/yellow one). The second one goes to a separate smart voltage regulator. Yours may only have the brown/yellow.

Minerva's comments are good. Check everything before dismantling etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240526_225257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240526_225257_Gallery.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 11
yahoo.co.uk
Comes from the back of the alternator. Mine has two (which is why I missed the broken brown/yellow one). The second one goes to a separate smart voltage regulator. Yours may only have the brown/yellow.

Minerva's comments are good. Check everything before dismantling etc.
Thanks for taking the pic, really helpful I’m going to crawl in and have a good look,

yahoo.co.uk
Thanks for taking the pic, really helpful I’m going to crawl in and have a good look,
Engine running battery only 12.6. Removed alternator, my wiring looks different to yours. From plug 2 x brown to busbar connecting to battery plus brown/ black to loom. Black earth from ring terminal( removed with blue tape on post) no other wires.

Bilgediver

Visit site
The fact that there are other faults with the panel suggests to me that the supply to the panel itself has failed. This could be a loose connection or fuse in the supply to the ignition switch or at the switch.

VicS

Visit site
Engine running battery only 12.6. Removed alternator, my wiring looks different to yours. From plug 2 x brown to busbar connecting to battery plus brown/ black to loom. Black earth from ring terminal( removed with blue tape on post) no other wires.
There are wiring schematics in the Beta Installation and Operators Manual which may help you. There are differences between the alternative alternators which may be fitted.