T-terminal alignment

SeaMark

Visit site
I have just had the standing rigging on my Starlight 35 replaced by a very well known yard on the Hamble. After their second attempt (!) I still have a couple of shroud terminals where the wire leaves the end of the swage at a bit of an angle and which I believe will eventually fail due to fatigue. Yard says problem is due to lack of articulation in the mast fittings but as they are ball sockets I don't agree. The old rigging was perfect. Has anyone had similar problems?

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatless

Visit site
I have seen this on a boat that I had. Old rigging was ball terminals in snail shell connectors, and, like yours, the terminal didn't completely articulate, resulting in a bend in the wire.

Rigging was ripe for change anyway, so I bought a new set from the mast maker, and fitted it. Just the same. There wasn't anything I could do about it at the time. The fitting was the right one. One solution would be to put a bend into the terminal. A remake of the snail shell is not really a starter.

Bottom line. That was eight years ago, and it is still standing, having had a damn good thrashing from time to time!

<hr width=100% size=1>my opinion is complete rubbish, probably.

maxi

Visit site
They probably would say that, wouldn't they? Even if you do as they are (politely)suggesting and go away, it is doubtful that your next survey would accept a
dog-leg in the rigging, and you would be back to the beginning again.

Make them get it right now, otherwise you will always worry about it and rightly so, and still have to pay out sooner rather than later.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SeaMark

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. At the moment I have no intention of paying either sooner or later!

Not sure if I trust them to put it right properly though - if the T-terminals are "persuaded" to take up a new angle it rather defeats the idea of buying new.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SeaMark

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. At the moment I have no intention of paying either sooner or later!

Not sure if I trust them to put it right properly though - if the T-terminals are "persuaded" to take up a new angle it rather defeats the idea of buying new.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jollyswagman

Visit site
This is sometimes a problem with stem ball type fitting in that they just will not articulate sufficiently to align themselves unlike T & shroud terminals which can be `re cranked' to suit.

If its on cap shrouds sometimes its possible to have them crossed in the mast i'e the port shroud terminates on the starboard side of the mast head fitting.

The other solution is to see where the stem exits the casting & see if there is any free play, in the past after re rigging I have had to slightly file the inside of the fitting to allow sufficient articulation to allow correct alignment.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SeaMark

Visit site
'Re-cranking' is just what the riggers are doing now. I thought this was seriously dodgy but I see it was mentioned in the supplement with the latest PBO.

Very reassuring to see you mention it as well!

<hr width=100% size=1>