Swinging Mooring Insurance

Freedom

Visit site
Hello, can anyone recommend an insurance co that would insure a small yacht on a swinging mooring beyond the normal April to September period, I don't want to lift the boat out until end of Oct and would like to lift back in in March. Navigators and General will not extend. Have a 2 year old survey, mooring is KeyHaven, Solent.
Thanks

Nick

Freedom

Visit site
Have Knox Johnson are happy to give me 12months on a swinging mooring at Itchenor.

Thank you, I have called them for a quote and they are willing to extend until 1st of November from 1st of April but a bit expensive at £235

jamesjermain

Visit site
Agents Curtis Marine (www.curtismarine.co.uk, Tel: 01752 485090) insure my cat for 12months a year. The question is, are your moorings rated by insurance companies as suitable for 12 month occupation? Ours are, many are not.

Bishop Skinner (www.bishopskinner.com, Tel: 020 7566 5800) have also insured my for the full year as have Saga though I wouldn't recommend them now for marine insurance.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Try GJW

They extended our insurance to 12 months in commission on a swinging mooring at no extra charge on request

(Mind, that is an upriver mooring managed by a marina, they might not be so accomodating in a more exposed location etc.)

Chalker

Visit site
Strange about Navigators, we had a 12 month swing mooring with them for years in Portsmouth

Try Admiral, they actually have sailors working for them and the boss goes blue water cruising.

2 up round the world!! Try that with Navigators.

the_branflake

Visit site
Im with craftinsure.com which is also underwritten by Navigators & General and they are happy for the boat to be in the water all year round. When i checked the only excepetion was if i was in Scotland. Everywhere else the cover was the same onshore or on the water (swing mooring also). Boat is however on a lake.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
+1 for Bishop Skinner. The only stipulation is that the pennant is doubled up in winter, and a higher excess applies Nov - Mar. As I use a double pennant anyway, thats not a problem.

I also use Bishop Skinner with a higher excess in winter but no mention of a double pennant......

BAtoo

Visit site
Hello, can anyone recommend an insurance co that would insure a small yacht on a swinging mooring beyond the normal April to September period, I don't want to lift the boat out until end of Oct and would like to lift back in in March. Navigators and General will not extend. Have a 2 year old survey, mooring is KeyHaven, Solent.
Thanks

Nick

Bishop Skinner / Bluefin do mine for the same annual fee but a higher winter excess (£400 IIRR). Advised them it was laid up (sails off, sprayhood off, boom stowed, extra mooring strop (chain ) ) & all was OK.

Boat wintered well.

Satisfied customer.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Try GJW

They extended our insurance to 12 months in commission on a swinging mooring at no extra charge on request

(Mind, that is an upriver mooring managed by a marina, they might not be so accomodating in a more exposed location etc.)

GJW cover my boat on a swinging mooring, year round. No extra premium but the excess is increased November - March inclusive. We're on a very sheltered mooring on the Beaulieu River and they checked my location on Google Maps before agreeing to extend the cover. I'd have thought Keyhaven would be OK so long as you're not near the entrance. All sorted for me at SIBS, so if you're going there, try talking to them.

C

catalac08

I have been through this a number of times regarding all year around insurance on a swinging and it is very much to do with exactly where the mooring is and what the experience of that particular insurance company has been with boats on that location. Also whether the mooring is professionally laid or inspected. If you shop around you will get cover.
I would have thought that asking other boat owners with Keyhaven Moorings who they use would be a sound approach.

Flapjack

Visit site
Im with craftinsure.com which is also underwritten by Navigators & General and they are happy for the boat to be in the water all year round. When i checked the only excepetion was if i was in Scotland. Everywhere else the cover was the same onshore or on the water (swing mooring also). Boat is however on a lake.

+1 but we are on a swinging mooring in Chi harbour

Last edited:

Freedom

Visit site
Thank you

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with GJW they will insure on mooring from 31st March to 1st Nov and will poss let me launch earlier. Reasonable price too £150.
After 3 years with Navigators and General without a claim I would have thought they would extend the time on mooring by one month but said nothing they could do. Its their £157.41 loss.

Thanks again
Nick