Swingers in the Solent area?

G

I have just had a new compass fitted. I now find that compass swingers seem to be an endangered species. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of one? Alternatively is it a job that I could do myself? (i.e. not too technical!). Ta.

Cornishman

Visit site
You can 'swing' yourself without much difficulty, but for heaven's sake do not interfere with the little magnets to eliminate the deviation. That really is the job for an expert.
Select any transit from the chart - steer towards it noting the compass reading - take the true bearing of the transit off the chart and apply the current variation - the difference is the deviation. Repeat going away from the transit. Try it with another 3 or 4 transits. If you find deviation values in excess of say 5 degrees you really must find a qualified adjuster.

Miles

Visit site
You could try Robinsons Compass Adjusters in Hamble. Tel 02380453533. Mr Robinson did my new boat at short notice 15 months ago. The whole thing took no more than an hour and involved little more than manouvring to the adjuster's instructions in the middle of the Hamble river. I seem to recall that he is partnered in the business by his daughter.