Swim platform extension

bubblehead

Visit site
Hello all,
I’ve been a long time reader on here and maybe only posted once or twice I think.
I have just replaced my boat with a new to me Princess 286 Riviera, and love it, so far, does what we want.
However, the one part that we would like to look into changing is the swim platform.
Ideally, we’d like it to be another 12” longer allowing a bit more space to put dinghy etc and to make it easier to walk across if rafted etc.
Does anyone have any knowledge or such options or if it is even achievable ( without it costing silly money)?
Thanks for any input.

jfm

Visit site
Pictures would help. It's an easy job - cut and shut. Cut the entire existing platform athwartships in the middle of the existing teak gratings, insert 6 GRP extension pieces (easy to mould and insert because they are prisms), fair the gelcoat, drop in new rectangular teak gratings (from eg, KJ Howells), and you're done. Possibly needs new stainless steel angle support bars on port and starboard ends, but I doubt it.

If you're not doing this yourself the cost would I guess be £4-5k. For a skilled diy-er with plenty of time on hands the cost would be £150 fibreglass materials and I guess 6 x £100 for the new larger teak gratings (though you could use plywood or something if you wanted to).

Elessar

Visit site
Hello all,
I’ve been a long time reader on here and maybe only posted once or twice I think.
I have just replaced my boat with a new to me Princess 286 Riviera, and love it, so far, does what we want.
However, the one part that we would like to look into changing is the swim platform.
Ideally, we’d like it to be another 12” longer allowing a bit more space to put dinghy etc and to make it easier to walk across if rafted etc.
Does anyone have any knowledge or such options or if it is even achievable ( without it costing silly money)?
Thanks for any input.
Jimmy the builder had it done to his fairline targa 40.

If you are in, or can get the boat to, Southampton I know the guy who did Jimmy's boat (and any work I need on mine)

jfm

Visit site
This is what is fitted.
...which, as I said, is a prism shape, so it's very easy to cut'n'shut extend. Just cut it athwartships along a line that passes between where the two stainless steel brackets attach, and insert 6 x 300m extensions in grp, then fit new teak gratings, and you're done. Easy job. Much easier than Jimmy the builder's targa 40 extension.