Swift Trawler - 'Pit Stop'

pks1702

Visit site
We have had our Swift Trawler for almost a year, she is all we hoped she would be. It was time for a very quick ‘Autumn Pit Stop Clean’; out last Wednesday back in today. Re Anti Fouled, Prop Polished, New Anodes.

The hull needed polishing so this was my task on Saturday, although thunder and rain put paid to this for a couple of hours early on. I used a machine polisher to remove a couple of minor fender scuffs but waxed and sealed by hand, aching arms time. :disgust:

Trim Tabs yet to done need different AF
IMG_6070-XL.jpg

Prop ‘buffed’ up
IMG_6072-XL.jpg

Hull has defined ‘tunnel’
IMG_6084-XL.jpg

Decent size paddle (rudder anode to fit) and a bit of a keel help directional stability and low speed manoeuvring
IMG_6083-XL.jpg

Slight Keel

IMG_6082-XL.jpg

Dull day so the photos don’t do justice but happy the way she has polished up.
IMG_6076-XL.jpg

IMG_6075-XL.jpg

IMG_6079-XL.jpg

Visit site
Looking good, makes me think my "Blue hull prejudice" is un-founded.

Unless of course you have shipped VAS's hull paint man over for the week-end :encouragement:

scubaman

Visit site
That's a pretty impressive result re. the polishing, well done! I hope you don't mind me being curious but which products did you use?

Your boat is looking great.

SammyB

Visit site
Great to find another Swift Trawler Owner! We have the 44 and took delivery in June 2014.
Great polish job, looks amazing.

pks1702

Visit site
That's a pretty impressive result re. the polishing, well done! I hope you don't mind me being curious but which products did you use?

Your boat is looking great.

Thanks SM.

First thing to say is I am an amateur so can only speak for what works for me. I have tried many products over the years I guess I have just settled on these which seem to work for me. Always interested to hear what other folks use.

Regime was to wash down with a boat Shampoo.

The fender scuffs I polished out with 3M Restorer and Wax
3M%20Restorer%20Wax-M.png

Although in the past have used this
meguiars-83-dual-action-cleaner-polish-190-p-M.jpg

Polisher is one of these
image-L.jpg

General polish by hand with 3M Ultra Performance Wax
3M%20Canuba-L.jpg

As a final finish for the last couple of years I have used Permanon Super Shine http://www.permanonfinishes.com/faqs.htm
IMG_5201-XL.jpg

It seems quite hard wearing but I can't say it is a wonder product. In the past I have had quite good results with Autoglym Extra Gloss protection as a final finish, it makes no great claims but works well, probably not as hard wearing as the Permanon.

Extra-Gloss-Protection-L.png

pks1702

Visit site
How does the ST 34 behave in a following sea?

She is OK not had any issues. She will wander a little if it is on the stern quarter as the 'keel' has more resistance but nothing to worry about the big rudder keeps her going where she should.

Harpsden - Good to hear another satisfied owner, its a great package for the size IMHO.

Another owner locally (an ex Yottie) took his up the Thames to St Kats from the East Coast and says he averaged 8LPH! he was doing 6-8 knots using the tides. Would not do for me but shows what they can do.

Sydneysider

Visit site
We have had our Swift Trawler for almost a year, she is all we hoped she would be. It was time for a very quick ‘Autumn Pit Stop Clean’; out last Wednesday back in today. Re Anti Fouled, Prop Polished, New Anodes.

The hull needed polishing so this was my task on Saturday, although thunder and rain put paid to this for a couple of hours early on. I used a machine polisher to remove a couple of minor fender scuffs but waxed and sealed by hand, aching arms time. :disgust:

Hull looks great! I am hauling my Antares 30 in mid October and the hull is nearly 3 years old and a bit faded on the side that faces the sun.(Have only waxed the last 2 yrs) I have the blue hull as well so hoping for the same result you have got - I am having the yard do mine as owners are not permitted to work on the hardstand, Is your boat only one year old, or new to you one year old?

scubaman

Visit site
Thanks for the info regarding the products you've used.

I have also used 3M a lot and have been very pleased with the results. This season I used the Ultra Performance Paste Wax for the first time and it seems to have faired well. I actually did a mid-season polish on one side of the boat to see what difference that makes. Once the season ends I'll have a closer look and report back.

I've also 3M Perfect-it prior to wax.

pks1702

Visit site
Hull looks great! I am hauling my Antares 30 in mid October and the hull is nearly 3 years old and a bit faded on the side that faces the sun.(Have only waxed the last 2 yrs) I have the blue hull as well so hoping for the same result you have got - I am having the yard do mine as owners are not permitted to work on the hardstand, Is your boat only one year old, or new to you one year old?

Boat is 2012 'Olympic' Model which we purchased a year ago, sorry for the confusion.

Scubaman - Yes please keep us posted on how you get on.