Swedish V British boat ownership?

PhilipF

Visit site
Wondering if anyone has figures relating to the number of boats owned in Sweden, as compared with the numbers in this country?

I ask because a few years ago, I was told one in six families in Sweden had access to a boat, but that in Britain this figure was around one in fifty.

Lately though, I've heard claims the Swedish boat ownership is even higher. What is the average size of pleasure boat in Sweden, and are they kept in marinas - or private jetties perhaps?

wooslehunter

Visit site
I used to have a collegue in Sweden who had a 30' boat. Not sure of the numbers of boats / owners etc but I can say he was utterly amazed when I told him of the costs of boating in the UK. Hence boating in Sweden is far cheaper than the UK.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Swedish boat ownership is huge as they all live within a stones throw of a huge lake system or the Baltic. Most boats I would say are 6-8m and most are kept at private club run sites.

If anyone has a spare 300k-400k to invest I've been looking at a small yard with large shore storage and 30 pontoon berths (small ones) recently. It also has a large house with potential for development as holiday lets/flats at a fraction of the cost of any UK property. There is also a large marina a few hundred yards away to cater for my next 40'er which might run charter work.

Any takers?

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I don't have number stats but I have owned a boat in Sweden for twenty years.

Despite the relatively huge numbers of boats for the small population there is no shortage of marina berths except in one or two choice locations, like Gothenberg and Stockholm city centre.

I pay a grand total of £250 per year for a berth including winter storage ashore.

Lift out and in costs £40. Mast crane free.

Unlimited electricity for no extra charge summer and winter.

Coin operated showers cost 25 pence.

Visitors berth cost £10 a night for boats up to 12M and is almost universal everywhere. Over 12M is an eye watering £25 a night. However, 2 nights free every 5 nights. Free electricity also for visitors.

Most folk belong to a club and self help, which is fun, keep costs down.

There are so many clubs to choose from that most boatowners can find a club close to their home. Door to door takes me fifteen minutes by car but half an hour on the bus.

Unfortunitely, WiFi is farmed out to a commercial operation and pay by credit card, Libraries are close and free though either with your own laptop, or book an hour on the library machines.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Many folk brew their own.

Answer to a tourist looking for booze. See that building over there? Thats the Church. See that other building over there? Thats the Police Staion. Knock on any other door but those two.

BabaYaga

Visit site
A few facts from a survey made 2004:
Nearly nine million people, a little over four million households, of which 600 000 were boatowners. Number of privatly owned boats in Sweden: 718 000 (+/– 70 000).
Boats with ”overnight facilities”: 83 000 motorboats and 55 000 sailboats (plus another 9 000 suitable for occasional overnighting).
So the ”one out of six families” figure refers in most cases to a fairly modest boat, typically a rowing boat, an open boat with an outboard engine or a daycruiser type of boat.
But it is also quite true that we are generally astonished when marina fees in the UK are mentioned… (my opinion, not the survey).