Suzuki 2hp, any good?

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I am going to give up on my Honda 2hp outboard for my inflatable because it is just too heavy to pass safely between the deck and someone floating in the dinghy.

I am considering getting a Suzuki 2 hp instead because I remember that it was the lightest in a group test by a magazine a while ago. Is it still the lightest low power outboard?

Also has anyone had any problems with these? And where can I get one from because the discount chandlers adverts in magazines don't seem to list them?

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Many years ago, I used to have a little Suzuki 2hp and found it superb and never encountered any of the problems others seemed to get. For instance, in years of use with regular touching of the sea-bed, I never had to replace the drive pin - believe they are s/s instead of brass. It was also nice and light.

However, my experience is from years ago and I recently returned to sailing and wanted something with a bit more grunt - after much research I decided on the Johnson 3.5 which I am delighted with. But if I had been in the market for a 2hp I would have gone back for a Suzuki.

dickh

Visit site
The Yamaha 2HP was I believe the lightest in the test, it always started, the women all preferred it for it easy starting, but it has no carrying handle... and it was the lightest at 10 kg. the test was by PBO or ST - I can't remember which.

stretch33

Visit site
Had one of these engines, it died of blocked waterways. Sold it at a boat jumble for £2.00 guy wanted the prop! The Yamaha that replaced it has been no problem at all, just flush it through 3 - 4 times a season with fresh water.

ZEBEDEE

Visit site
I bought One last year after reading artical in PBO easy to start Very light and no problems (so far). We Bought ours in the Marine Bazar in Plymouth £309 inc Vat and you get 2 year Guarantee.

davidwf

Visit site
Had same problem with blocked waterways, got it cleaned out for £25 never had any more problems its now over 9 years old. Only thing against it is the lack of a crry handle although if you fold tiller down along leg you can carry it by holding the handle near the head its a good ballance but a bit painful on the fingers.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I've had my Suzy2 for about 10+ years, and found it to be very reliable. I use it about once or twice a week doing 2 x 15 min runs to the boat and back.
I clean the plug, points and check the impeller every couple of years. It always starts within two pulls on the original plug and points! I put it down to accurate 100:1 fuel mix.

SimonD

Visit site
I've just bought one from Ron Hale Marine in Southsea (excellent service) for £319. First impressions are good. In particular it's light enough to easily lift up from the dinghy with one hand.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I looked at various models , including the Honda , before plumping for the Suzuki. It's certainly light enough to manhandle from boat to tender. I bought mine from Oakleigh Marine in Brighton.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Waterways

After reading of the problems with blocked waterways, I thought it was time to strip the old girls bottom end down and check her waterworks. It was a lot easier job than I thought, 2 nuts at the bottom end and prop and shaft unit separated. 6 bolts under the top end and bingo, shaft casing separated and water channel exposed.
It had some sediment in it and some scaling on the walls of the channel, otherwise not too bad. Care had to be taken to separate the gasket but it was fairly robust and could be reused. All cleaned up well by scrapping and finishing with a wire brush (and a blow job around the block).
Then had a look at the impeller behind the prop, it had a broken fin. Can't complain, it has lasted 10 years!

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: Waterways

When I was looking for one at the start of the season and went to Oakleigh Marine I had a choice of about 4 outboards. Oakleigh asked if the engine was going to be used in fresh or salt water , the reason being that some makes are more prone to salt water blockage than others. They said that they get less Suzukis back than any other make with blockage problems which was good enough for me.