Suzuki 2 HP. 2 stroke.

B27

Visit site
2HP will be 1.5 kW near enough?
My Dad had a 2HP suzuki several decades ago, it was pretty light., I'd guess similar to my Yamaha 2, I don't know how different models varied over the 30 years or so they sold 2T outboards. I'd guess around 11kg, A tank of fuel will be about a kg, so how exact do you need to be?
Pretty sure it was 50cc despite being less than half the power of a 50cc bike in those days.

munster1967

Visit site
Ok thank you for your reply and all the information. It's light so. I just wanted a light outboard. Have they reasonable power for 1-2 people in an inflatable sib 2.8 meter. ?

B27

Visit site
Ok thank you for your reply and all the information. It's light so. I just wanted a light outboard. Have they reasonable power for 1-2 people in an inflatable sib 2.8 meter. ?
I use a Yamaha 2HP for my tender which is about 8ft.
It's much faster than rowing.
Mostly I'm throttling back if there's any chop, to keep us dry.
If you want to anchor 2 miles from the pub, then you'll want something faster. If you're wanting to cross the harbour at Fowey and not worry about the tide taking you off course etc, it's plenty.
I'm generally very happy with my 2HP, it's reliable and importantly, my wife can start the engine, unlike the heavier 4 stroke I own.

The one thing I don't like is these engines are noisy, compared to a big 4 stroke going slow. I'm not proud of making more noise in my little tender than the 60HP RIBs that go past at low speed. It's not 'seagull' noisy, but on a quiet evening or early morning, in a quiet place like the Yealm, it's something I'll ban when I become dictator. Just my opinion!

munster1967

Visit site
I don't mind getting a bit wet. I've watched some videos on you tube. And they seem to achieve 6.5 knots with a 2 HP Yamaha. Does this seem about right ? On the inflatable tender.

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
I don't mind getting a bit wet. I've watched some videos on you tube. And they seem to achieve 6.5 knots with a 2 HP Yamaha. Does this seem about right ? On the inflatable tender.
I've had my 2HP on GRP dinghies and planed at over 10 knots.
If you're going down wind in a bit of chop, it's easy.
6.5 on an inflatable would be believable but, maybe 'top end' and worth making a youtube vid of?
In reality, unless you're going a fair distance, 4 knots gets you there, 5 knots gets you there slightly quicker, 6.5 is more of the same really.

What matters is knowing you can defeat the tide with a strong breeze and choppy water against you.

The convenience of a light 2HP outboard trumps a 5HP outboard getting you across the harbour in 20 seconds less.
If I was wanting to go 2 miles up river against the tide every time, I might think about more power.

jamie N

Visit site
I use a 2.3hp Honda.
It's pushed my Folkboat across the Pentland Firth quite a number of times.
This year it's pushed my GK24 90% of the way from Largs to Inverness.
It's pushed a lot more than 2 people in a tender.
It is easily lifted and weighs 13 kgs with fuel.

munster1967

Visit site
I've had my 2HP on GRP dinghies and planed at over 10 knots.
If you're going down wind in a bit of chop, it's easy.
6.5 on an inflatable would be believable but, maybe 'top end' and worth making a youtube vid of?
In reality, unless you're going a fair distance, 4 knots gets you there, 5 knots gets you there slightly quicker, 6.5 is more of the same really.

What matters is knowing you can defeat the tide with a strong breeze and choppy water against you.

The convenience of a light 2HP outboard trumps a 5HP outboard getting you across the harbour in 20 seconds less.
If I was wanting to go 2 miles up river against the tide every time, I might think about more power.
Oh my goodness 10 knots was a great speed. ! I'd be using it in lakes. One v small lake and one large lake. I'd like to be able to get 6.5 knots or so on the big lake. 1 person on board.

munster1967

Visit site
I use a 2.3hp Honda.
It's pushed my Folkboat across the Pentland Firth quite a number of times.
This year it's pushed my GK24 90% of the way from Largs to Inverness.
It's pushed a lot more than 2 people in a tender.
It is easily lifted and weighs 13 kgs with fuel.