Suspect e-mail

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Recieved this ref selling out boat....looks suspect???
Also how did they get my e-mail address if it's not advertised?

Dear Seller,

I am so glad to come across your Sailing yacht For Sale , pls let me know if stillin market or not? also i will like to know the present condition of it's condition ?also send the present pics for comfirmation if available ? and let me know if the item is negotiable or not so that we can proceed on negotiation immideatly .Also we are paying via cashier's cheque.I look forward to hear from you asap today.

Yours Faithfully

Csail

N/A
Visit site
There is something about it........ my mate had something similar from Holland offering more than the asking price!!!

FinesseChris

Visit site
Plenty scam!
The deal is they offer you more than you ask, excuse being some kind of money-laundering exercise ('our authorities are very shortsighted about these kinds of things..."), and they ask you to pay THEM a smallish proportion back, in cash or something solid as. But their 'transfer' does not materialise, they vanish, you are left out of pocket.

Quite imaginative, really.

If Nigeria spent its creative energy on slightly more legit business it would outbid Switzerland in the prosperity stakes....
C

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There is a further extension to that. A banker's draft arrives, it looks good and the bank says it's good also. You pay up the cash sum but four days later the bank phones to say 'Er, sorry, the banker's draft wasn't as good as we thought and has not been honoured.'

mikefleetwood

Visit site
I had that once with "Moneygrams" - "buyer" sent 3 x $1000 and asked for return as total was too much. Fortunately I kept records and contacted the issuing bank - all fakes!

Very familiar wording in that email - don't touch with the proverbial bargepole.

Don't trust anyone who offers unfamiliar methods of payment. If in doubt, quiz your bank about if payments are irrevocable - usually they can be returned as much as 6 months later!

oldharry

Visit site
Theres a website I came across recently that tells how to exploit these scammers, and recorded one case where the victim had actually persuaded the scammer to pay HIM an 'admin fee' to open an 'account' for the funds!

Worth a try if you feel like it - a 'pre survey deposit' perhaps?

FullCircle

Visit site
If your boat is on www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk, the 'buyer' can send an email which is routed through the site. That does not mean the 'buyer' has your email.
I had several when selling the last boat.
If you want some fun, lead him on.
It is Steve Cronin I think, Burgher of this parish, who particularly enjoys teasing the crims by extended message swapping.

Bergman

Visit site
Often wondered with this scam, if you closed the bank account immediately after the bank accepted the draft and you trousered the cash, would the bank be stuck with the loss?

Can they come back at you even if you have ceased to be a customer?

SWMBO and I run an account specifically for internet / Ebay transactions etc and we keep the balance at a minimal level and most certainly no overdraft arrangement, so there is little to be lost if we do get scammed.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
this was the latest reply even though i sent pics of a brand new bav 50 instead of our 31' ketch!!!

Thanks for the pictures. My client is very ok with the pictures and i want you to get back with the asking price for further arrangement.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
Often wondered with this scam, if you closed the bank account immediately after the bank accepted the draft and you trousered the cash, would the bank be stuck with the loss?

Can they come back at you even if you have ceased to be a customer?

SWMBO and I run an account specifically for internet / Ebay transactions etc and we keep the balance at a minimal level and most certainly no overdraft arrangement, so there is little to be lost if we do get scammed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bank would not close the account until the transaction was finalised - so you'd still be responsible - as IMHO you should be especially if the your intention was deliberate.

Same same re overdraft facility.
If your bank acting for you got hit, they'd add it to your account, facility or no.
And then accrue interest until such time as they did get it back from you.

JOHN

Csail

N/A
Visit site
I have asked him to forward money for admin costs now and the bait has been taken! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barr Avel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

If Nigeria spent its creative energy on slightly more legit business it would outbid Switzerland in the prosperity stakes....
C

[/ QUOTE ]

If major European (inc British) oil companies stopped fleecing the country dry, corrupting and exploiting to get their way, it is possible that 70% of country might not be starving to death and it might well outbid Switzerland in the prosperity stakes... So when do we start boycotting BP & Shell?

Marc.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
<< If major European (inc British) oil companies stopped fleecing the country dry, corrupting and exploiting to get their way, it is possible that 70% of country might not be starving to death and it might well outbid Switzerland in the prosperity stakes... So when do we start boycotting BP & Shell? >>

I suggest you research the facts before posting such tosh. Shell has a 5% interest in Nigerian hydrocarbon resources but is the operator, so gets lots of flak from the ignorant. Nigerians are being fleeced by Nigerians, pure and simple. The amount of revenue being generated by LNG alone, ignoring oil, is billions per year. Virtually all of this goes to the government (!), who respond by providing a total lack of infrastructure, facilities, education, you name it.