Surveyor recomendation

davidfox

Visit site
It has been 7 years since the boat was surveyed and I notice that the insurers want an out of water one done prior to reinsuring, does this have to be a 'full monty' or do they do little 'cheap' ones for insurance purposes? I have never owned the same vessel for 7 years before so dont know. And can anyone recommend a competant guy who is local to Foxes where boat is out and fairly reasonable?

FullCircle

Visit site
It has been 7 years since the boat was surveyed and I notice that the insurers want an out of water one done prior to reinsuring, does this have to be a 'full monty' or do they do little 'cheap' ones for insurance purposes? I have never owned the same vessel for 7 years before so dont know. And can anyone recommend a competant guy who is local to Foxes where boat is out and fairly reasonable?

David, normally insurance surveys are 10 years? I would haggle with the insurers a bit. GJW is 10 years.

DanTribe

Visit site
Hi
I've just had an insurance survey done by
eastangliayachtsurveys@btinternet.com Dominic Buckley.
It was a reasonable price and very thorough. He has come up with some defects I was unaware of that needed urgent attention, so money well spent I reckon.
I'm also with GJW but they asked for a survey after only 7 years but we had a claim a few years ago so perhaps they are being extra careful.

FullCircle

Visit site
Jim, I am also with GJW and it is they who want the 7 years and i have no 'previous' unlike Dan - incidently thanks all for the recommendations. I will investigate further.

Oooh Errr! Better get my thinking head on, mine is 7 next year.

sailorman

Visit site
Oooh Errr! Better get my thinking head on, mine is 7 next year.

Soon to be a MAB then Jim
image.gif

It doesnt seem like 7 years how time flies :eek:

DanTribe

Visit site
"I agree with Dan."

Not often I hear that!
He found a microscopic crack in a T ball fitting in a 4 year old shroud. I would never have spotted that, so the survey may have prevented having a mast round my ears. I'm very impressed.

Last edited:

nigelm

Visit site
I agree with Dan. eastangliayachtsurveys@btinternet.com Dominic Buckley.
I used him last year very thorough, good survey presentation, came on a cd too so was able to email to insurance co. I was very happy wiyh his service.

Ditto all that , i used Dom for the pre purchase survey on our boat last april
no complaints , and i have used the recommdations as a work thru list to get it ready for coming season .

chinita

Visit site
I wonder if insurance companies have any actuarial figures to justify reducing reducing time between surveys.

I wonder whether, if they did have such figures, and statistics showed fewer claims they would increase the time between surveys.

Or is this the thin end of the wedge and are we looking at annual MoT type tests in the future?

Davidrss38

Visit site
Thanks to this thread for reminding me.
I also insure with GJW who deferred my survey untill this year its due in June, but I'll get it done now before she goes back in the water.
Just emailed Dominic.

Other threads that may be of interest