Survey done and.....oops

oldgit

Visit site
Every thing OK but.
The boat needs second auto fire extinquisher in engine compartment.
Suggestions please.
Where do I get one and how much do I pay?
Also surveyor suggested another ordinary ex. in galley good idea.What sort ?
Dry powder or what?

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

trev

Visit site
Any decent chandlery which is still in business will stock them. DP autos run at about thirty quid for a one kilo and DP manual from about fifteen.
You can get auto halon for engine spaces but the cost is a bit steep - hundred and fifty or so.

<hr width=100% size=1>Trev

tr7v8

Visit site
Cheapest I saw for Auto's last year was Jimmy Green Marine, who were doing them for about £30 and £40ish dependant on size. This was at Mid Kent Boat Jumble.
As for 1Kg hand helds shop around, mine came from MA Services in Aylesford and were Lloyds stamped and £ 30 for 2 x 1Kg. I have seen them down to under a Tenner.
I need to replace the Auto in my engine bay, it's made by Safemaster, about the size of a biscuit tin and dry powder and looks zillions of years old, but does have a tell tale lamp on the dash to show it's fired. Problem I have is because of layout I have a problem getting dry powder ones inverted and apparently that's the only way they can be mounted.
Also looked at Pyrogen in fact got involved and that works out to £ 300ish on a 3 Cubic metre engine bay. If anyone wants details I have brochures etc here for Pyrogen.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

oldgit

Visit site
Looks like a boat jumble trip them./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

G

Taking second question first, dry powder should be perfectly okay for the galley, but consider adding a fire blanket as well - easy just to drop over a stove burner that's gone mad!

The engine bay is more difficult. Bear in mind that halon is illegal from the end of this year (1 Dec 2003, I think), although it was still legal for suppliers to sell existing stocks until the end of last year. Most marine insurance companies are insisting that halon extinguishers be removed forthwith. There is a halon chemical replacement but it is very expensive. Automatics using this material are selling for in the region of £200. Many people are therefore going for automatic dry powder extinguishers and the insurance companies appear to tolerate this, although I have heard reports that some will not pay for damage to engines caused by the powder.

Hope this helps!

Nigel

<hr width=100% size=1>Medway Motor Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mmyc.co.uk>http://www.mmyc.co.uk</A>

BrendanS

Visit site
I asked both my broker and my insurance company about the issue of whether I should replace my halon system, and what I should replace it with, and received the following response:

Brendan
Most, if not all, insurance policies do not express a preference on the make of the extinguisher providing it is an automatic. Contact Marine Fire Safety, Marine House,Bowman Drive, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0LU tel 01883 370 147 or info@firemaster.co.uk for more information.
Best regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainshiptom

Visit site
My local chandlery "Iron wharf" Favershm has them from 26-42 pound ! I think they are gas of some sort,

Tom

I did have a phone number but where did I put it?

good old outlook
Davidson, Nigel
Iron wharf boatyard
Abbeyfields
Faversham
Kent
ME137BY
Bus: 01795 531777
Mobile: 0370 792469
Bus Fax: 01795 591957
E-mail: faversham-creek.chandlery@virgin.net

<hr width=100% size=1>