Surprisingly useful kit.

helixkimara

Visit site
In some of the yachting mags. They do an article called “Fast Track Interview” and I always go to the “What is the bit of kit you would never sail without?” Some of the kit they come up with is often bizarre. Like Ewen’s “Crystal decanter”
Anyway it might be interesting to see the Jester Skippers answers, this may also help budding Jesters provisioning list.

I’ll start.

Apart from the obvious like a boat. My most favourite bits of kit were “Angel” my wind vane steering and a HEAD TOURCH.

CPD

Visit site
3 cases of tinned Tesco Mackerel in tomato sauce which were then submerged in balck pepper. Tried Sainsbury's own brand, and they weren't half as good.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apart from the obvious like a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that also stops me saying a keel. I would then say a rudder but Nick Bridges proved it is possible to complete a return from a JAC without a rudder.

In terms of essential 'non essentials' I'm very fond of my stainless steel insulated bell shaped mug with its rubber bottom that doesn't slip. Not only does a cup of tea last a long time but I can also support a wine glass or bottle of beer in it so they don't fall over or spill much. Then there is my stainless steel espresso machine - just the thing to wake you up in the morning: that is if I can keep it on my cooker without it falling off and covering the cabin or me with coffee despite gimbals and pan clamps.

helixkimara

Visit site
Good one John.
One thing I didn't have was a cup like that or a cup holder. It really bugged me having to hold the cup almost all of the time ! Many a cup load "went the distance" especially when I was pouring into it.!

Noddy

Visit site
Cup Holder?? - wot you need is another hull mate! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But seriously: I took a tornado bowsprit (a bit like a windsurfer mast) to use as a jibstick. I always hurt myself when using a spinnaker pole single handed (too high and too heavy)(don't need one on a cat anyway). It allowed me to sail straight downwind and stopped the genoa filling with a bang (which has brought more than one mast down)

The other thing was some good books. On land I no longer seem to find time to read for pleasure. At sea I had time to really relax and get into "The Day of the Jackal" and others. I'd forgotten the pleasure of getting lost in a good book (whilst getting lost in a big ocean I know I know).

Also: another vote for an LED head torch with white and red LEDs.

P

nicholas49

Visit site
In spite of John Apps' comment, I shall not be taking aspare rudder with me in 2010(incidentally, the tube broke one inch down inside the rudder, where a hole had been drilled through the shaft, in common with other Trappers it seems). Other than items like wind-vane which are essential, head-torch, square frying pan, toastie maker, and hot-water-bottle, which I hang round my neck on a piece of string, inside my jacket.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
finnatic499 sounds like Nick Bridges. I've wanted to tell you that I have met another Trapper 501 owner that has lost his rudder. Can't remember his name or his boats name off the top of my head. But I see him almost every Wednesday night, so I could ask. He only lost his somewhere off the Isle of Wight and worse still had to suffer the ignominy of being towed in. Same problem as yours just broke off at a couple of drill holes that shouldn't have been there.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Mes chaussettes de cosmonaute.
Great socks pure petrol juce with silver threads incorporated. They prevent the boots from stinking !!!!

Baby lingettes to clean the man (is it still a man?) once upon a time !

The 3 backets : one for private use, the second for washing up, the third for general purpose and spare. (I have an argument with John on the third!)

Home made Chesnuts in Icing "un peu de douceur dans ce monde de brutes" (something sweet in this brute world)

Eric

helixkimara

Visit site
Nice one Eric !
"Baby lingettes to clean the man (is it still a man?) once upon a time !"

I have a little story about baby wipes. This is a quote from my log on the way to the Azores.

"After 7 days at sea I decided to give myself a good clean, especially in area’s that didn’t see the light. I had been using these really good hand wipes that I bought in Arco, They smelt very “disinfectanty” and certainly cleaned my hands. Well, I stripped off, lay on my bunk with legs a kimbo (This may well be “too much information”) and “assumed the position” as they say.
Pulled out 3 fresh wet wipes and started the cleaning job, front and back.
AAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh! ! ! Bloody AAAAAAHHHHHhhhh ! ! I screamed with the heat and sting then the PAIN ! I jumped up to douse myself with water but the water pump seemed to take forever as I was gradually developing a deep red tan like a nappy rash. My language was disgusting as I found words that I hadn’t used for years. Used about 2 litres of my fresh water, no time to get sea water, I soaked myself and the floor. After 15 minutes I was back down to just a sting and I grabbed the wet wipes. They must be off, I thought. I had to wear my glasses to read the print on this unusually large container of baby wipes.

“For sterilizing and disinfecting industrial surfaces, protective gloves must be worn”
There was a list of nasty sounding chemicals and a long list of “danger do not”s..

Good job I didn’t have a baby on board, I would have cooked it !"

I know, going off the sbject a bit.
Regards
Malcome

bendyone

Visit site
I know a Trapper 501 owner who lost his rudder off Falmouth about 8 years ago. had to be towed in by the Lifeboat.

CPD

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Nice one Eric !
"Baby lingettes to clean the man (is it still a man?) once upon a time !"

I have a little story about baby wipes. This is a quote from my log on the way to the Azores.

"After 7 days at sea I decided to give myself a good clean, especially in area’s that didn’t see the light. I had been using these really good hand wipes that I bought in Arco, They smelt very “disinfectanty” and certainly cleaned my hands. Well, I stripped off, lay on my bunk with legs a kimbo (This may well be “too much information”) and “assumed the position” as they say.
Pulled out 3 fresh wet wipes and started the cleaning job, front and back.
AAAAAAHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh! ! ! Bloody AAAAAAHHHHHhhhh ! ! I screamed with the heat and sting then the PAIN ! I jumped up to douse myself with water but the water pump seemed to take forever as I was gradually developing a deep red tan like a nappy rash. My language was disgusting as I found words that I hadn’t used for years. Used about 2 litres of my fresh water, no time to get sea water, I soaked myself and the floor. After 15 minutes I was back down to just a sting and I grabbed the wet wipes. They must be off, I thought. I had to wear my glasses to read the print on this unusually large container of baby wipes.

“For sterilizing and disinfecting industrial surfaces, protective gloves must be worn”
There was a list of nasty sounding chemicals and a long list of “danger do not”s..

Good job I didn’t have a baby on board, I would have cooked it !"

I know, going off the sbject a bit.
Regards
Malcome

[/ QUOTE ]

.......... and there was me thinking most people took books for entertainment. Oh well, maybe next time .......... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OGITD

Visit site
Tears!.......Oh!....my ribs hurt!!!!!......Tears! I’ve just spluttered tea all over my keyboard.
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! for sharing, the warning, the post.