Superyacht or superhouse

danfoley

www.ybw.com
Down the pub a few weeks ago with my Country Life friend we got into a rambling debate about what we'd buy if we won the Euromillions (unlikely, given that neither of us do it).

I put forward the superyacht argument, she the 'superhouse' argument. We put this half-baked idea through the steamer and came out with for/against article about which is the better.

Anyway, we want to make more of the idea fuelled by your input and here I am. Which would you buy if you had the money? The best answer* gets a copy of Full Circle by Ellen MacArthur.

Argument for the superyacht

Argument for the superhouse

*In my opinion, subject to poor judgement.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Well in your scenario of course you'd choose the home, because if you spent £40m on a yacht you'd have to sell it within a year when you couldn't afford the £4m running costs. In reality though, if you won £40m, you'd look at a yacht or second home costing no more than £5m, and it then becomes less important whether it's a depreciating asset or an investment, and the other factors about which is most fun come into play.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I'd get a house first, then with the change I'd buy Lulworth, race her for a year or two, then sell her on and get back to sailing little boats again that you don't need 30 mates to operate.

epervier

Visit site
£40million isn't anywhere near enough to buy a super yacht of my choice, so you're back to the boat problem of a bloody compromise again, sure it's enough to buy something very nice but not in the realms of Paul Allan's Octopus, so instead of having the equivalent of a Bugatti Veyron super sport in the boating world, you'd have to settle for a good deal less down the ladder, the boating equal of a Lamborghini Murcielago or Ferrari F430 perhaps.

So me personally I'd settle for something around the 100' mark previously owned and now bored with,these owners would have bought them for millions and now depreciated like a marker on a snakes and ladder board, with no ladders within a thro' of the dice,so set budget at 20% of winning ticket value you'll end up with a huge choice for 8 million, set the same level for the property purchase I believe you get far more value for your 8 million and make it a shore residence with a private pontoon/drydock at the bottom of the grounds good choice along the banks of the Beaulieu River

Leaving 24million to fend off hunger and cold.

Dan if you choose this as a winning entry, send the book to a charity, don't want that sort of tat on me cabin's bookshelf.:D

Can't stand the idea that someone gets honoured for playtime activities, knighthoods for rowers,mbes for running and jumping, and being made a dame for going on a sailing holiday, what ever next?

Nearly forgot, Peerages Lord Coe running, Baron Prescot two jags of Kingston upon Hull,suffered from bulimic amnesia ate all the pies but forgot to vomit.

Last edited:

bigwow

Visit site
Spend the the lot on a few suites on The World and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Visited us 2 weeks ago no one about more like the Mary Celeste

DSC06446.jpg

epervier

Visit site
I don't know, I offer you £40m and all I get is complaints!

I was only pointing out the short comings of an insufficient budget when buying super yachts, while at the same time making a winning choice for what was on offer at the time, plus leaving enough residual funds to maintain the new lifestyle you have afforded me with this generous gift.:D