Sunseeker Martinique Performance

nickjh

Visit site
All,

I am getting quite tempted to purchase one of these little beasties.. Both boats are UK based and have the AD41 engine option with DP.

Some have of you have suggested staying away from the more troublesome KAD42 options. But I do worry a little at the lack of excitment I may get with the twin 200's.. Especially coming from a 27.5ft petrol sports boat!

Can anyone please advise what the likely performance characteristics of this boat will be? cruise speeds, top speeds, acceleration and most efficient crusing speed.

Anyone know how this hull handles in the rough?

Thanks

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

KevB

Visit site
I've been out on a couple but with KAD42's so this is just a guess.

Cruising speed 24 knots
Top speed 30 ish give or take a couple
Wont shoot up on to the plane but will get there.

This is where you will notice the difference between AD41's and Kad42's. Because the Kad's have superchargers they give that extra boost a low revs to get it on the plane quicker.

All IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/45/99/10714599.s.jpg?ch=97&rr=16:00:39>Nirvana</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KevB on 24/11/2004 14:42 (server time).</FONT></P>

Aardee

Visit site
Brave man that starts another one of these at the moment /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

ps: Know bu**er all about Sunseekers...sorry.

<hr width=100% size=1>"I am a bear of very little brain and long words bother me" - A A Milne.

KevB

Visit site
Re: really?

Nah, that's the Cammanche or superhawk I think. Much skinnier. The martanique is quite beamy

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/45/99/10714599.s.jpg?ch=97&rr=16:00:39>Nirvana</A>

adarcy

Visit site
Re: Yup

Agree KevB
beamier than SS's racerstyle hull. Been out on a trial of a Matinique 39 which ? had the KAD42s and felt a bit sluggish onto the plane. I wouldn't have wanted eg an earlier 36 with the 200's. I think they said it would max at 36 kt but it didn't feel like it would to me.

At that time we were thinking of a F'line Targa 35/37/39 and althought the Marinique is beamy for a SS, it still felt narrow to me especially around the top of the screen rail where the hood starts from ( yes it was a typical So'ton Boat show + weather). In fact I personally didn't like to feel so cramped on such a size of boat. Col will no doubt disagree but he's smaller

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site

Git!!
AD41 will give top whack 30Knts but a bit slow onto the plane Kad42/43 give about 33Knt but noticably faster to plane.

Boat is a good compromise between sportboat style, and functional space
(hence bit beamier than say, a superhawk. S/Seeker sport layout uses a ratio of approx 4:1 (ie) 40ft boat has 10ft beam)
Martinique is 12ft
Good boat in a big sea too!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

rlw

Visit site

I can agree top speed will be approx 30 knots with the AD41.
Acceleration onto the plane is reasonable. Does not feel sluggish. However it does not feel like a sportboat acceleration. I cannot compare with 42's but had the same 41's in a Portofino before that which did give impressive acceleration.

Great sea boat as well.

Rib

<hr width=100% size=1>

Tim777

Visit site

I reckon top speed 30 to 33 knots. When we were looking to get our last boat we narrowed the choice down to a Targa 33 or a Martinique. Chose the Targa 33 over a Martinique for accomodation styling but would say they are pretty similar with AD41's.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tomqpa

Visit site
Hi All and greetings from Finland
We have 1992 Sunseeker Martinique 38 with twin KAD42 + steel propelles and proven performance is: cruise speed 25 knots (22 is most economical speed with consumption of 45 litres per hour) and top speed of 35 knots in gps. No problems with engines what so ever. You just have to remember that they are designed to rew over 2900 rpm when cruising. the worst scenario is to drive with 2850 rpm, cause it will damage the magnetic switch of kompressor chargers since the switch will go on and of all the time. Sorry about all language mistakes that may occure. Havent use my English for a long long time :D
Great boat, excellent handling and easy to drive.

Greg2

Visit site
Hi tomqpa and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your English....all good and undoubtedly way better than my Finnish! :)
Not sure if you realise that you have replied to / resurrected an ten year old thread? At least I assume you have unless the Mods are getting slower with putting up first posts :)
Still useful info and may well be helpful to someone with an interest in these boats.

tomqpa

Visit site
I did notice that, after posting my reply :sleeping:
Still there are lots of Sunseeker Martinique fans out there, and for a good reason. So I didn't see any reason to delete it.
Next monday this 2014 season here is over and our boat is going into storage for winter. Maybe then I have more time to check also the age of topics. But hey, isn't it good that we have these forums to give information and help for those who have waited to get one, ten years :encouragement:

Last edited:

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I've been out on a couple but with KAD42's so this is just a guess.

Cruising speed 24 knots
Top speed 30 ish give or take a couple
Wont shoot up on to the plane but will get there.

This is where you will notice the difference between AD41's and Kad42's. Because the Kad's have superchargers they give that extra boost a low revs to get it on the plane quicker.

All IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/images/45/99/10714599.s.jpg?ch=97&rr=16:00:39>Nirvana</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KevB on 24/11/2004 14:42 (server time).</FONT></P>

If your numbers are correct she will definitely be under-powered with 41s 200hp Volvos. I would want anything minus for an under-powered fast planning boat.
But I am sure they are able to do more then that with 230s a clean bump and the right set of props.
We had one in Malta which in light mode use to touch 34-35 knots. And in 100% of the cases boats in Malta are slower then they are in the UK take cause of the higher temperatures, and the denser med sea.

IMO you should also look at a 35 San Remo. These also sell very competitive and have a very nice layout.
As for 230s most of the problems of the early versions are known about nowadays, so its not big deal if you take the right person to do the inspection of the engines for you.

Last edited: