Sun Odyssey lifting keel fitting

RobBadgie

Visit site
Hello, I bought a sun odyssey 32 just over a year ago. Before I took it the lifting keel needed refitting. My keel (when fully lifted) extends around 8” below the low point of the bilge keels. When I see photographs of similar boats it looks like the lifting keel folds completely inside the bilge keels. I’m wondering if it was fitted correctly. Does anyone out there have one and tell me how theirs fit? Thank you.

William_H

Visit site
I am guessing that it is a swing keel intended to go inside the stub keel. Typically these swing plates will have a pivot hole in the plate which is not central (front to back) so when retracted if fitted backwards it would protrude. Failing all else by way of info I would look at removing the plate when it is ashore and try turning it around. ol'will

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
i got my sundream 28 a little over a year ago. Lift keel. (centerboard more like). it lifts completeley into the keel stub with nothing protruding. when i bought her i had the yard i bought it at remove the keel, sandblasted it as it was rusty then re-epoxied it and service the lift mechanism in the table and replace the parts that needed it. the pivot pin is at the front of the stub near the bottom. i have the boat on a swing mooring with keel up. i tried it for the first time last week not relaising how quick it drops when the rope is released off the winch, thud!, will be more gentle next time.

Last edited:

MikeBz

Visit site
When the plate is fully up the trailing edge should be parallel to and not quite touching the underside of the hull. The leading edge will be parallel to and clear of the ground when the boat is sat on its bilge keels. I don't have any pics but I can have in a month or so when we have been lifted for the winter.

When you say it is 'fully lifted' what do you mean? Is that just as far as you can pull it with the rope or is there a physical restriction you can see?

[Edit]... I've found a couple of pics which might help. The trailing edge doesn't quite go parallel to the hull, it clunks against the hull at the point I've ringed on the left hand picture:

fKkIgQ7.jpg

Last edited:

Stoshak

Visit site
MikeBz is correct. The keel should be higher than the ballast keels. This enables the boat to dry out without causing damage to the centre plate.