Sun Awnings - what colour

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: What - black sky??!!

No, I only get that from SWMBO when I'm in the doghouse dressed up like Ozzy Osborn.

Magic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site
<<lt;Although I think sense a hint of a suggestion of little sarcasm>>; You didn't. It was heartfelt - the universe beams its chilly non-glow on all of us.

tcm

Visit site

erm, I think you're a little too keen on these colours, magic? The colour of materioal makes a bit of a difference to the reflective abilities - but not so much as you are saying: the specific heat capacity of land is far higher than air, and thats why the ground cools. I suppose that black things might cool a little bit faster than white things but not much. Or - how much? For example, I don't see people in black cars or with dark-coloured uphostery dying of heat exhaustion.

Of course - this has nothing to do with why Uhuru was black - that's simply cos William Shatner.

tcm

Visit site
Morte about sun awnings

I failed to mention that i have vast expertise at sitting under sun awnings and doing sod all. This has won me little knowldege EXCEPT in a few specific areas - one of them being sun awnings.

So, let me advise you further: in making the sun awning, tellem to put in a spare zip fastener along each side and along the back- just the half of a zip, ready for something else to zip into it. I'm guessing that this length might be a couple of metres. Separately, have a special little piece of awning made, bout 500mm wide and 2ish metres long with a zip along the side. On the other side of this strip, fit hooks on stretchy elastics through eyelets.

When at anchor in truly hot place, you'll have the ornery awning. But the sun will burn under at one side tho in the afternoon, and unlike the uk it swill still be hot - so fit your special little bit of extra awning at the relevant too-sunny side with the zip (it has to be upside down for one side or another, so use proper material that looks ok on both faces) whilst the hooks clip onto the guardrails, or if you are raggie on to the safety wire.

These special little zip-in bits of side awning are henceforth called teeceem's - soon everyone will know about them and we won't need the long explanation as above, you can just order ther awning without a teeceem, or with a teeceem if you are serious about staying cool in hot countries.

peterb

Visit site

Last time I went to buy a car was in mid-summer. There was a line of cars in sunshine. I couldn't put my hand on the black ones, they were far too hot. The white or silver ones felt quite cool to the touch. And the same applied to the insides. Sure, while they were moving a through flow of air would have kept the dark cars cool, but I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed being in one if it were stopped for any period (without air conditioning, of course).

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Well folks - thanks....

Simple request turns into a disitation on black body radiations. SWMBO doesn't believe in physics, let alone the laws of economics - but thats another story!

So - I have eaten humble pie - she can have her dark blue awnings - with TEECEEEMM skirts. and everything I ever learnt at school about radiated heat has had to go out the hatch. Sorry Charles - I know you think they are common, but red will clash with her hair and thats not on......

Now for some sun next year (in Cornwall??.... ....)

Magic_Sailor

Visit site

Thanks for that Peter. Anyone who's ever sat in a dark car with black leather seats (ouch!) would agree.

Magic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

tcm

Visit site
temperature of middling bowl of porridge

oh well yes, that was very scientific I must say. Some cars were hot, and dark coloured, and some weren't. So according to this baloney, black people would explode in the sunshine, whereas fairskinned people wouldn't feel a thing. Hm.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Someone got it wrong

In the 7 days it took to make heaven and earth - someone got it totally wrong. why black skin for a hot climate - sorry I made a huge mistake - by the way I have started to hear voices.

snowleopard

Visit site
boring blue

why is it that almost every boat has blue canvas (sail covers, hoods etc.) there are dozens of coulours available.

i was selling a boat once with a green sail cover. the guy who bought it quite indignantly said 'why isn't it blue?' and subsequently threw away an almost new cover to replace it with a blue one. what a boring old f***.

pugwash

Visit site
off-white soon grey

I had a boat cover made two years ago of off-white, 'canvas look' material that we chose because it was very wide and therefore did the job without a seam. Can't remember the name of it, sorry. But after one season on the Tamar it was pale grey and after two it was streaked with mildewy grey. I was told the type of material reacts badly to the air. Could get more info if you wish. My new one is blue -- pale sky blue, very pretty, no glare and no underheat and no mildew.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: matt black radiators

No, not kidding. Matt black both absorbs and radiates heat faster than say gloss white.

It's all to do with the colour temperature stuff. And remember - it's radiated heat - not conducted.

peterb

Visit site

If anything, matt black radiators would increase energy consumption. They would increase the radiation of energy, thus cooling down the hot water in the radiator system. The system thermostat would then increase the boiler output to compensate.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site

Yes, but as the rooms get hotter quicker, the radiators would have to let hot water into them less often.

In fact, it makes no difference at all to economy what colour your radiators are. the only advantage to black ones would be that they heated the room up quicker after the heating system's turned on.