Sumlog

dragoon

Visit site
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help.

I have an old cable driven SumLog. On removing the boat from the water I noticed that the paddle-wheel was missing and thought I could probably buy a new one.
On close inspection there is only a hollow stainless steel surround poking out of where the paddlewheel was, so it appears that the paddle-wheel took the shaft with it when it fell off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy this or where to purchase a new sender unit (don't know as that's the right term) for one? I tried Furneaux Riddal (spelling?) in Portsmouth but it seems they only do the paddewheel and cable these days.

Anyone have one second hand they want to sell?

Cheers,
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
paddle wheel and cable should be all that you need. cable comes with a squared off end that you slide into the stainless bit from inside the hull. It then passes into the plastic propellor, which has a squared housing. The cable kit comes with a new top end which has to be araldited onto the cable after cutting cable to the right length.

Sorry, but dont actuall know how the propellor attaches to the stainless fitting as I have never removed mine

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi

I got one from Furneaux Riddall www.furneauxriddall.com
Email, sales@furneauxriddall.com
+44 (0)23 9266 8621

Get them to send you a free catalogue

Paste the link below or search the site look under VDO instruments then sumlog mechanical

http://www.furneauxriddall.com/shop/acatalog/Impellers.html

Part no:-
N05 800 284
10, 15, 20 & 30 Knots - White

Price: £18.62 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

The paddle wheel just screws on to the spindle. Once you have worked out the length of inner cable, you need to 'crimp' on, a squared of section on to the speedo head end of the cable. This is done by placing the little tool (supplied) over the fitting, place it on something solid and giving it a sharp smack with a hammer.
Easy stuff

David

<hr width=100% size=1>

dragoon

Visit site
Thanks Dave, David and Alcorn.
It seems all is not lost - I'll follow up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
I imagine you are really talking about the propeller for the cable sumlog. Beware you could confuse people by asking for a paddle wheel which describes the sender for the later electric version. Unless I am wrong..... will

<hr width=100% size=1>

dragoon

Visit site
Unfortuately after talking with Fernaux Riddall it seems that I'm missing a threaded shaft which is part of the skeg. This part is out of production :eek:(

I'll give the second hand places I know a try - failing that if anyone has the part (or a whole installation) that they wish to sell please let me know.

Failing that I guess I'll have to move to a later model - of course the through-hull fittings are completely different - owning a boat was never meant to be easy I guess!

Cheers,
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Why not take it off and see exactly what you need, if just a threaded hollow shaft, should be quite easy to get made up from a metal worker. Got to be cheaper than a total replacement, and in any case, if you cant repair it, it might as well come off !

<hr width=100% size=1>

dragoon

Visit site
Hi Talbot,
you're right - I'll try and be resourceful - I'm not one for giving up unless it's completely had it. Would be a shame to lose the ol' Sumlog as I always liked its quirky backwards reading speedometer!

Cheers,
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
My sumlog reads the correct way round, but there were two shaped displays. The earlier one was just a chrome circle of abt 90mm diameter. The later was a larger display with a blck plastic backing. IIRC the impellor for one was the wrong way round for the other, so its possible that you had the wrong impellor. Mine is the most accurate speed/distance and nowhere near as prone to clogging as the standard paddlewheel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dragoon

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who helped here. In the end I got one from Faulke's barge for 20 pounds, which initially I thought wasn't correct, but with the old shaft and threaded collar missing, it just looked slightly different.

The old cable was missing, so I bought a new inner. I have it on the boat now, but still need to cut it to length and crimp the end on for the head unit.

Incidentally, as I recall the old one was never connected right on the impellor (I always thought it looked strange as the cable poked through the side) so I'm suspecting a couple of other things here;

- that the shaft was missing before and somewhere in the past a bodge was made in order to fix on a new impellor

- since the cable went with the impellor, this also may explain the effect of something getting wrapped around the prop at the end of the season. It generated some vibration of the shaft, and when I put her in reverse, there was a 'whack' of something hitting the bottom of the hull, followed what looked like white plastic bag pieces floating to the surface. I'd almost bet that was the old impellor.

Still, nice to get these things sorted!

Cheers,
Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>