Suggestions for Icelandic trip

PHN

Visit site
This summer (July) we will be sailing in about 3 weeks from Reykjavik alongside the north coast of Iceland to Faroe and Shetlands. From Shetlands we fly back home when another crew takes over the boat. Of course there is a plan, but I wondered if anyone has tips or suggestions what is not to be missed or can best be avoided.

jdc

Visit site
The Hornstrandir, a peninsula in the extreme NW of Iceland, is a walker's paradise. Lots of Fjords in which you can anchor, albeit mostly uncharted. Hill walking in a wilderness.

BTW, Reykjavik is in the SW, so when you say 'along the North coast', I assume you go first up the W coast. This abounds with places to go, my favourite being þingeyri. You could look at https://www.theca.org.uk/system/files/LC 33 Iceland 2014.pdf if you're a CA member (it's my cruise report on Iceland).

Concerto

Visit site
Last summer I visited the Shetlands, Fair Isle and Orkneys, and you might find these videos worth looking at.

Round Britain part 4
[/MEDIA]
Round Britain part 5
Round Britain part 6

For even more detail you can read the posts I made at the time and posted on this forum. You can find them all in my about me page, see link in the signature.

Visit site
This summer (July) we will be sailing in about 3 weeks from Reykjavik alongside the north coast of Iceland to Faroe and Shetlands. From Shetlands we fly back home when another crew takes over the boat. Of course there is a plan, but I wondered if anyone has tips or suggestions what is not to be missed or can best be avoided.
You will probably be calling in at Isafjordur and Husavik. Both wonderful places with plenty to do, but a real favourite of mine on the north Coast is Raufarhofn which is really whacky. There is a bit about it on my blog www.sumaraofweymouth.co.uk.

PHN

Visit site
BTW, Reykjavik is in the SW, so when you say 'along the North coast', I assume you go first up the W coast.

Yes, that is correct.

Stopping at an occasional harbour with facilities and some kind of supermarket will be part of the plan.

Sadlermike

Notionally Argyll but normally on boat away from h
Visit site
I agree with jdc; the north-west highlands are the highlight of a circumnavigation. There are countless species of plants and Arctic Fox cubs playing on the hillsides at midnight.

Husavik is good place from which to visit the touristy bits of Iceland. It has the advantages over Reykjavik that it is cheaper and, being further from the tourist spots, you will see more of the interior.

I would recommend stopping at Heimaey on the south-west coast. I used it as a departure point for the return trip to Scotland and loved it despite having to wait three weeks for favourable winds.

I sailed anti-clockwise round Iceland and had no reason to regret it. I guess the best way round is determined by the weather forecast.