Suffolk Sails

WF36

Visit site
Taken from social media:

Dear All,
I do not need to tell you all of the serious impact that Coronavirus has had on all of us.
So it is with a huge 'speechless' moment that I am emailing you today to let you know that after forty plus years at this site in Woodbridge and for me personally twenty three years (thirteen years as owner) i have had to call time on Suffolk Sails.
I have had to make Matt redundant, after twenty years as sailmaker (thirteen at Suffolk Sails), which has made me realise just how sad this really is.
The losses i have incurred so far this year are not retrievable in near future, with all the overhheads we have. We have completed just about every service / repair job and most of the new sails ordered. The few outstanding new sails that have deposits will be completed by myself in the next 6-8 weeks (or sooner).
My landlady has been very understanding and we have an agreement in place which should allow everyone to collect any sails and covers left here at Tide Mill Way, i have organised storage of any items that will need longer storage. I hope that the travel restrictions are lifted so that you can come and collect your gear and hopefully go sailing - something we are all looking forward to do.
Please don't hesitate to contact me, email is best at the moment, if you have any concerns or want to discuss collection of sails / covers.
I want to thank all of you for your support and custom over the last 13 years (there are a few that have been customers longer than i have been a sailmaker!) i hope to see you in sunnier times on the water, or in the bar!
I'll keep the name Suffolk Sails running as i will have some smaller bits and pieces to offload, snuffers and the like, you might see some bargains. Maybe in the future I will find a way to bring Suffolk Sails out of hibernation.
Wishing you all health and happiness.
Simon

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I suppose there are just too many players in the game with falling numbers going sailing.

Hope you all get fixed up. Must be a need for skilled workers in other disciplines .

Best of luck to you all.

PeterWright

Visit site
Sad news indeed, and I fear they won't be the last marine business that this pandemic will finish off. The vast majority of mariners these days do it for leisure and, when cash gets tight, leisure is the first thing folks cut back on. Even if a miracle vaccination arrives in the near future, our government has already spent vast sums in battling Covid-19, that's all got to be paid for somehow by us, the British people.

Peter.

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Very sorry to hear that Simon has taken that decision,
I would really hope that we are seeing the other side of all this .
Trying to stay positive that the new normal will be work able.
Wishing him All the best for the future.

Lucy52

Visit site
Vary sad, small businesses are going to take a hit, It would be nice if he could start up again afterwards. I hope Cindy and co can make it through, perhaps the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme will help.

jimi

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. You were top of my list for sail related work. Very helpful and eager to help. Sad day

biffandkatie

Visit site
Dropped a dinghy sail in to them on Wednesday 3rd June so they're doing their best to keep things going. Would be a shame to see them fold as we have always had great service from them and always great prices too.