Studland

tony_brighton

Visit site
Bank Holiday approaches and there is a possibility we'll end up in Studland. I hear there are some mooring buoys laid by the Bankes Arms - anyone confirm this? Usual stuff - what size boat will they take? do they charge? is there the remotest chance of getting on one on a Bank Holiday?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Forecast for Bank Hol as one would expect is crap, but at least wind with some west in it so Studland is OK. Yes there are buoys, not many though and not sure of the depths on them although this weekend is neap tides. Why use a buoy though? Studland is good holding in hard sand for anchoring but try and avoid the patches of weed and dig it in well. Then sit back and enjoy it all until the PWCs et al arrive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
Bizarrely I find I sleep easier if I'm on a mooring buoy. Not sure if this a reflection of crap anchoring technique or not but I get nervous around the change of tide. Conversely if the mooring buoy is attached to a bit of string attached to a house brick then the anchor works much better.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Little_Russel

Visit site
We have dragged in Studland before so, if you anchor, make sure that the anchor is not just hooked into all the weed that is there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

We anchor in Studland at least once a season with a CQR, have dragged once, make sure the hook is well in and you will be OK. We even held fast last year when the wind turned to the east, bit bumpy!

Oh! you will need to take a high power rifle with you though to take out the jet skis that will do their utmost to spoil the peace.

Have a good weekend, it will not matter what the weather is, it will still beat mine. I'm decorating!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
There are bouys in Studland laid by the Bankes arms. They are for the patrons of the Bankes Arms. NOT for people to moor too willy nilly 'cos they're to damn lazy to lay out the anchor properly. Sorry but one of my pet hates. Every time we go to the Arms for a pint they are always taken by people who never use the pub. Ticks me right off!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

duncan

Visit site
you beat me too it!

around 6 large orange ones - seem fine to take large vessels so they will suit around 8 rafted flying the MBY burgee!

Studland has weed just where everyone tries to anchor in around 10 - 12 feet depth. Swanage is the same. Make sure you drop the anchor on sand and the holding would be hard to beat for any anchor bar fisherman!

If you are in Studland then dingy over and say hi to any of the many boats flying the forum burgee and if the boats are unmanned join us in the pub garden.

The forecast may not look good but the weather will be great /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
That's what comes of spending your life in marinas!
Come on Tony, you know you can do it, give your anchor an outing.
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/frown.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif/forums/images/icons/mad.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/cool.gif/forums/images/icons/blush.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
There are mooring buoys but you really don't need them in Studland. The holding is excellent in hard sand and you should be OK in anything up to and including a gale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jac

Visit site
We used one last june - we draw 1.5m still had plenty of water at LW springs. As for holding, the weed seems to be getting worse. Laid the anchor out 3 times straight into weed each time. Hence the buoy!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
>you should be OK in anything up to and including a gale<

Sat out a gale there once in a Rival 34, and we had the engine ticking over in ahead to steer into the yaws and reduce the snatching on the hook. The wind coming over the down between Studland and Swanage had all sorts of twists and swirls in it.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Little_Russel

Visit site
We also have a CQR and it has been excellent. The other thing to do is to use a Fishermans Anchor which is the best anchor in weeded areas. They tend to be a bit of a pain on board however! Do you use all chain?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We use a length of nylon line fitted with a rubber mooring snubber and chain hook to transfer the load on the chain from the windlass to a foredeck cleat, leaving a slack loop in the chain. This takes all the snatch out of any yaws and is also much quieter. I think it is snatching that would be most likely to break out an anchor other than resetting on the turn of the tide, but in Studland the tide is a very minor factor and can be ignored when there is any wind. We have anchored there many times during full gales, as long as the wind is from SW-W, NW is less comfy though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Most people trust moorings more than their own gear, not always wisely. I have seen some very nice big clean buoys with heavy pickup strops that had chain below the water that was almost corroded through, picked one up like that many years ago inside Poole and it broke at 3am. I do trust my own anchor gear, if it can stand full astern (gradually applied) from 44HP I can sleep soundly. I would think the Bankes Arms moorings are well maintained or they would risk losing customers though.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
In NWs

...anchor off the North Beach. A little further to the pub but the weed is almost non existant, it is often deserted and voyeurism rules!

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
Was fully intending to avail myself of the facilities. I assumed there was an expectation that it was for pub punters.

<hr width=100% size=1>