Studland; is it time to enclose the bay with a wave screen ?

Woodlouse

Visit site
Steve Trewella, 48, a freelance wildlife photographer who regularly deals with seahorses said they can be quite tough animals despite their size.

He said: 'I've spent a lot of time with seahorses in the wild and they can often stretch to seven or eight inches.'

That should give some ammunition to the anti seahorse trust or what ever this forums reaction group is. It seems Mr. Trewella spends his time stretching seahorses. That's not very nice for them is it?

mjcp

Visit site
So despite their still being yachts, divers, fishing boats and gales in the area (all listed as being "Bad for Sea horses" by various groups) we are told of the three that washed up:

one was:
"a healthy-looking female"

another was:
"an unusually large size for a seahorse"

and the they are "quite tough animals despite their size" and "small and mighty"

:confused:

They sure do sound like they need an exclusion zone, don't they! :rolleyes:

mjcp

Seajet

Visit site
This is going over old ground, please excuse me !

Seahorses have been at Studland since as my old boss would put it, 'time immoral', way before the Romans who made a local symbol of the Seahorse...

The Eelgrass is expanding despite all us nasty boat owners, as proven by aerial photo's including the pre-WWII survey by the Luftwaffe.

It's been doing that since the 1930's, and the post war leisure time boom in boats anchoring there since didn't stop the stuff growing; ever since visiting there in the 1980's I've had to search for a clear spot of sand, which is increasingly difficult to find.

Claims of '300 boats a day' have been proven a wild exagerration, and the SBPA & BORG continue to do good work.

I'm not too bothered about dropping my anchor on a diver seeking to make the place his own taxpayer sponsored playground, but natural seamanship decrees I won't be anchoring on weed. :rolleyes:

However playing on & from the most attractive, warmest sandy beach in the UK while funded by 'charity' has a certain appeal I'm sure...

Last edited:

Daedelus

Visit site
I thought there was one they found that was apparently extinct and had been run over by a bicycle. Shoved it in some water and it perked up and started swimming about. Very tough cookies.

Tranona

Visit site
Most useful extra information from the article is that you should not use flash on your camera when photographing them - causes irreperable damage to their eyes (so the man says!) - and its in the Daily Mail so it must be true.

Seajet

Visit site
Most useful extra information from the article is that you should not use flash on your camera when photographing them - causes irreperable damage to their eyes (so the man says!) - and its in the Daily Mail so it must be true.

Speaking as a pro photographer, it's very difficult to get sharp shots underwater without flash; dial in a high ASA speed and remain without flash, or just take in the experience of seeing the wee beastie, and don't try to record it !

Tranona

Visit site
I'd love to see the scientific evidence for the statement. Wonder whether anybody has taken the little darlings to SpecSavers? Would make a good topic for one of their ads - just think what Gordon Ramsay could do with his chopper and a seahorse.

oldharry

Visit site
There is some truth in the flash photography issue: it is at present actually illegal to use flash as some experts believe that it can cause damage, trauma and that shock can even kill them. Unsurprisingly Trewhella who hopes to make his reputation and fortune photographing them, disagrees strongly. However, Seahorse Trust have persuaded the powers that be (MMO) that there is sufficient evidence of risk to ban flash photography of the species in UK.

Interesting hearing Trewhella describe them as 'surprisingly tough' having for several years tried to convince us how vulnerable they are!

Seajet

Visit site
No stopping him now he has made the Daily Mail. Big jump up from the Echo.

All of which begs the question, why are people allowed to interfere with Seahorses just because they've convinced someone they have superhuman powers to fiddle with wee beasties which we mere mortal sailors cannot possibly possess !

Sailors are by definition very much in tune with nature and take huge enjoyment from it, and won't do anything to cause harm.

So these wonder-kind career conservationist people who've somehow wangled to be funded by us taxpayers think they should have Studland - and other places, as a playground for themselves -this is just the start.

We've seen how certain people behave on TV, calling boat owners 'Gin Swilling rich yachties causing damage' - well I can't remember the last time I drank gin, and I worked hard to get my little boat, I suspect that career conservationists' account has a zero or two more than mine !

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
Its what I have said elsewhere - conservation and the whole 'green' thing is one of modern society's sacred cows. You dare not disagree, because that is selfish an damaging. Anyway they must be right, the government is funding it all on a huge scale - even though they cut back the schools, police, hospitals etc etc

However the signs are that someone high up has realised just how good conservationists are at spending huge lumps of other people's money!