Student Living on a boat in Thames.

Tomm

Visit site
Hi,

I think that maybe I am being abit silly even thinking of this so people tell me if you agreee. But, I though its at least worth asking...

I start Drama school In London in september and have accomodation untill April. It was thinking if it would be fesable to live on a boat in the thames. I have very little money to spend but if I could get a reasonably priced plastic boat and live on that to avoid exstorshinate rent. I abosloutely love boating of any kind so if this could work it would be a dream... I'm being unrealistic?

How much would long term mooring fees ect. I would not mind living in the most basic's of boats if it worked out cheaper than renting.

As I say, tell me if im being stupid. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Tomm

Sulley

Visit site
Moorings are the difficult part, are you planning to be on it outside of term time as well? Where on the Thames are you looking?

You say you have very little money to spend, how much is very little? As this is not going to be as cheap as you think.

No Regrets

Visit site
Being sensible, you need to weigh up all the liveaboard costs:

Mooring (Unless you plan to 'River Pikey'

Gas (Heating, hot water)

Charging (Batteries go flat in 1 week!)

Pump out (If you're full of ****e, this needs to be considered at £7 a throw)

Water (Free, but you may need to travel to find some!)

Maintenance (Your boat will need this!!)

A bedsit will offer more space per £

TrueBlue

Visit site
The River is tidal up to Teddington (well part tidal Richmond to Teddington), so no practical moorings in the full tidal bit and methinks not much available in the part tidal bit.

Either way unless your course is in West London it's not very practicable.
Even if you buy a bit of a wreck mooring it to a bank isn't going to be simple. Commercial moorings are v. expensive and don't like liveaboards for Council Tax reasons (mostly).

You'd be better off mooring on the river Lea or the Grand Union canal where the banksides are more accessible , licences are cheaper and you have a range from the East to the West.

Liveaboards are not very welcome on either bits of water as there are few facilities such as fresh water and more importantly ALL sorts of waste disposal.

A cabin cruiser is not a pleasant place to live, "rectangular" boats - narroboats or some cruisers marginally better, but they cost more.

Everyone wants to live cheaply so whatever space is available is contested and both EA and CART will move you on regularly.

An awful lot of challenges....

oldgit

Visit site
An awful lot of challenges....

Plus people who live aboard start to have a certain odor about their person after a short while,not so noticable on the sort of thing moored at Chelsea but very apparent on a slightly damp 30ft wooden boat.
Can remember going to a forum get together a few years ago and it became very obvious that one particular forumite(who no longer posts) with the very trenchant Attila-the Hun type views normally found on the Forum,was probably living a very solitary bachelor life on a small boat. :)

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
There are marinas close(ish) to London that are reasonably priced, e.g. Hoo in Kent, where you could go but then you'd have to commute. Don't be discouraged though, try a post on the Liveaboard forum...

Sulley

Visit site
Take a look at Boatshed Grand Union to get an idea of costs of buying a boat, often the boats come with residential mooring status of course this is an added cost on top. This is not the Thames...

For example a residential mooring at Packet Marina will be approx £7k p.a

dash300

Visit site
'For example a residential mooring at Packet Marina will be approx £7k p.a'

That will be a no then - unless he has an income or mummy and daddy are going to stump up!

TrueBlue

Visit site
'For example a residential mooring at Packet Marina will be approx £7k p.a'

That will be a no then - unless he has an income or mummy and daddy are going to stump up!

The whole point is that he wants to do it inexpensively which means tatty boat, extreme discomfort, no services. So marinas are out residential moorings on CART likewise, commuting costs minimised.

Folks used to do that in style - e.g. Virgin's boss but that was at least 30 years ago. Since then everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and it's now unpleasant for all.

30+ years ago there was reasonably price accommodation for students but now that every educational establishment is an "University" there's no room for low cost students.

As a country "we" really need to re-examine how we train and support the next generation.

Sorry, bees and bonnets.

Tomm

Visit site
Hi guys, thanks all your suggestions.

its a ba im doing at drama school so its not uni. Depsite this I still need to get a student loan to go.

Mummy and daddy will certainly not pay 7k a year so mariners are definatly out of the question.

I have accomodation untill april and im paying £150 a week for this (leaving me no money for food) this is why im trying to find a cheap way of living.

I was looking at as you say 'tatty' boats such as these below. My course is in South London but if living on this tatty boat saved me alot of £s commuting could be an option.

Are there any canals close to central london? I know one runs through kings x and camden.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150890745555?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

The boat above is bidding at £51 pounds currently. Obviously no engine no nothing would need toliet cooker heating ect. All things that need thinking about. I'm trying to figure out if after heating,toliet,water,cooker,mooring,maintainence... Would it be cheaper than 120,150 a week.

Heres some other tatty boats I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150892128720?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140842022610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200814679301?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If I could save money I would be spending on rent I guess I could have a grand to pay.

Forbsie

Visit site
A friend of mine is studying in Bristol and has solved her accommodation issues this way. She bought a beautiful 30(?) foot steel yacht for £3000, took it away to another yard for some work, did some sailing over the summer and will live on it next term with one of her mates.

The slight difference is that she has been a liveaboard for, pretty much, all her life. Bargains can be had, but you should chose boat type carefully as some, including deep keeled yachts are not particularly suitable for rivers.

V1701

Visit site
A friend of mine is studying in Bristol and has solved her accommodation issues this way. She bought a beautiful 30(?) foot steel yacht for £3000, took it away to another yard for some work, did some sailing over the summer and will live on it next term with one of her mates.

The slight difference is that she has been a liveaboard for, pretty much, all her life. Bargains can be had, but you should chose boat type carefully as some, including deep keeled yachts are not particularly suitable for rivers.

And you can moor in the heart of Bristol for a lot less than the cost of rent/c tax/water rates etc...

ADLS

Visit site
Hi,

I think that maybe I am being abit silly even thinking of this so people tell me if you agreee. But, I though its at least worth asking...

Thanks

Tomm

I lived aboard my boat for 2 years but was very lucky to have a free mooring, landside toilet, water, off street parking and use of a swimming pool which I maintained. electric was through a seperate meter. All part of the boat deal. Showers were taken at work.

Used the boat when ever possible even in the winter months if only to visit The Harvester Pub for sunday lunch so batteries were topped up.
Winter was dodgy with ice forming on the decks and great care was needed boarding at night especialy when the red boards were out on high fast water, it was a bit pirate like walking the plank.
The cost of living aboard well for me it was low as I needed to licence and insure the boat anyway, Convenience wise great I was only 7 miles away from work near shops, pubs and takeaways. Did cook onboard but mainly on days off.

Each day I would do at least one maintenance job, inside on wet days outside on fine ones. As it was an old wooden boat there was always something to do.

I cant help you with cost as it was over 15 years ago and my deal was out of the ordinary. But take it from me after moving off that mooring bill started to rise and maintenance was not done daily so each w/e visit turned into work not pleasure.

Would I do again well no. Boats are holes in the water through which you pour money. Having sold mine I can tell you there's no greater relief.

Good luck with your studies, get a bedsit to have time for them.

regards Byard

Grimslion

Visit site
Hi,

I start Drama school In London in september and have accomodation untill April. It was thinking if it would be fesable to live on a boat in the thames. I have very little money to spend but if I could get a reasonably priced plastic boat and live on that to avoid exstorshinate rent. I abosloutely love boating of any kind so if this could work it would be a dream... I'm being unrealistic?

How much would long term mooring fees ect. I would not mind living in the most basic's of boats if it worked out cheaper than renting.

As I say, tell me if im being stupid. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Tomm

Well it seems a bit unrealistic of course!! living on boat might attract someone's attention towards you but will not help rather than creating buzz and curiosity among people. Though you have pointed out your short of money..try to find out inexpensive rentals.. it would be best for you..