Stuck on the bottom!

Chill

Visit site
Not sure who is to blame but overnight the river level had dropped nearly twenty inches, we were in Windsor on the Brocas and every boat was stuck solid even a Nb was stick leaning on one side. After a couple of hours we were able to move off.

rr_123

Visit site
Not sure who is to blame but overnight the river level had dropped nearly twenty inches, we were in Windsor on the Brocas and every boat was stuck solid even a Nb was stick leaning on one side. After a couple of hours we were able to move off.

Noticed this morning that the level was very low (a bit further down from Windsor)

In fact it revealed that there is a shopping trolley dumped in a popular mooring just upstream from me; I'll go and whip it out when I get time, it's usually just below the surface and wouldn't do your prop a whole lot of good :eek:

Miles from the nearest shop; someone must have really wanted to dump it there!

TrueBlue

Visit site

All the resdient staff on holiday so mthe weirs managed by volunteers perhaps??

(run for cover)

Brayman

Visit site
One lock we came through yesterday was pulling in the weir because of "over-zealous" weir keeping the night before left the reach above with little water. Maybe not as much came down from the yellow board area as expected!

It's quite a challenge to know what to do when the lock keeper goes off duty at night, especially in a lock without a resident keeper.

captain tomas

Visit site
Would suggest that due to the inexperience of the current management
these problems can be expected to rise.
If those in charge !! keep cutting back on Lock Keepers as residents, the experience required to manage the water levels will quickly be diluted.
I suggest anyone who has sat on the bottom request the E A to supply a
lift out to check the underwater integrity of their vessel.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I was caught out on Monday night. Moored above Sonning lock and found myself stuck on Tuesday morning. Apparently level when we arrived was +6 and had dropped to +2 overnight, but lockie kindly closed the weir in to raise the levels and we floated free.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

So, (pardon the pun) did anyone get to the "bottom" of this? 20" is a major fall (actually sounds excessive and leaves me somewhat sceptical) when all targets are to keep the levels within +6" and -3" depending on conditions. Did anyone report to Reading?

Last edited:

teddington_lock

Visit site
Last time i checked , Shepperton Marina wasn't upstream of Romney Lock , which is where the discussion is about. ;)

So you are saying it dropped nearly two feet on the reach from Shepperton to Sunbury ?

Harmoni

Visit site
sorry, didn't realise this was just talking about upstream of Romney lock.
yes I am, we woke up quite late on Tuesday morning to find several boats in the marina touching the bottom and I think the level was already on the way back up. the level certainly seemed to rise back up to normal pretty quickly!!
we could see the bottom all around the edge in basin B :eek:

Harmoni

Visit site
when it happened i thought it was just our reach but it obviously wasn't !!!
would love to know what happened and who messed up as I can't believe that was intentional !!!
Do we know how many reaches were effected ?
the marina office tried telling us it was because the barrier had been closed for the DJ flotilla but I don't believe that !!

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
when it happened i thought it was just our reach but it obviously wasn't !!!
would love to know what happened and who messed up as I can't believe that was intentional !!!
Do we know how many reaches were effected ?
the marina office tried telling us it was because the barrier had been closed for the DJ flotilla but I don't believe that !!

Best thing I have heard all day.....