stripping paint from topsides

G

My boat has been painted with a single pack paint, I wondered if their was any type of chemical paint stripper (similar to Nitromors perhaps) that could remove the paint without damaging the gelcoat beneath? What would nitromors do?

Regards

Sean

BarryH

Visit site
Nitromors would nacker the gel coat. You can get paint strippers specialy formulated for GRP. Go to your nearest motorcar paint factors/wholesalers and you will be able to get it there, or a good car accesory shop will have it

ChrisP

Visit site
If it's already been painted there's a bloody good chance that the gel coat was already knackered hence the paint job.
You don't say if you intend repainting, if so follow the instructions on the new paint system and all should be well.
As an aside, over the last few weeks we've been watching a chap working on what was a rather well worn Turbo 36. He sanded off the surface of the gelcoat and then went at it with a power buffer and cutting compound. The result has been fantastic, a shine that looks ready for a show stand. Don't know what he's using, Usually too wobbly from the beers drunk whilst watching the polish dry. But if I see him I'll ask.

ChrisP;-)

miket

Visit site
I have used the Nitromors product that is specifically for GRP to take off the name from my boat.

Excellent, but make sure it is the GRP one. Don't believe them if they say they are the same!