Stowe instruments

cnh

Visit site
I have a Stowe log, and the paddlewheel seems to have died. Chandler told me Stowe went out of business 15 yrs ago! Anyone got a dead Stowe with a live paddlewheel?

Nicholas Hill

[www.channelpilot.info]

<hr width=100% size=1>

westhinder

Visit site
Try Simrad. I seem to recall Stowe was taken over by a company which in turn was taken over by Simrad. I managed to find spare parts for the wind instrument a few years ago. You may be lucky.

<hr width=100% size=1>Johan

pete

Visit site
Hi Nicholas
Is it a blue paddle wheel with an outside diameter of 34.2mm ? I removed one from my Hunter Horizon (1989) around 2 years ago because the display went faulty and it has been in my garage ever since , It has no plug on the end of the cable but I seem to remember it was wired into a Stowe electronic box below the display as far as I know it should still be working .If its any good to you you can have it for the cost of postage.

Pete

<hr width=100% size=1>Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

brianhumber

Visit site
You can still get paddle wheels ( or could 18 months ago) from Simrad.

AW in Gospart in my exprience is very expensive or trys to be. Being short of time I asked what was the price to change the bearing in the anenometer and he quoted something horrendous. He then said he would supply me the bearing but I would bring the bits to him as it was a difficult job. To a Chartered Marine Engineer that was a red rag to a bull and as far as I am concerned he can stick his digits where it hurts most. I did the repairs myself, nothing difficult as I recall you just needed small tools like watchmakers use. Grrrr, He is at one end of the ripoff scale whereas people like Whale pumps are completely the opposite.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Have a look at the Airmar website.
They made transducers for most instrument systems and the site has a look-up chart for applications for all their through-hulls. If you go to the transducer you might even still have a label on the cable identifying the model.
The website will also list dealers.
Good luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Brian,

Entirely agree! The prices AW Marine tried to charge me for an anemometer bearing repair was utterly disgraceful and far more than indicated in the initial 'phone call. I refused to pay and demanded that he removed the bearing and return the unit 'as was'. The price was then reduced by 50% (which I paid) but I was still bloody well ripped off in my view.

I would leave this company well alone unless you are a) desperate or b) get a WRITTEN quotation first.

Be warned everyone!!

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

JonJon

Visit site
The best you can say about AW Marine is that they could do with an intensive course in customer relations. Personally I wouldnt touch em.

<hr width=100% size=1>