Stowage priorities

oldbilbo

Visit site
I have a friend who's getting used to his 'new' boat - first for 40-odd years - and he's been mulling over creating a rack for books.

How do I persuade him that a wine-rack is of higher priority?

I've re-read all of Annie Hill's 'Voyaging On A Small Income' and there are no really suitable designs in there. Maybe Dick Everitt of PBO fame might have some good ideas!! Other suggestions welcome.... ;)

Boathook

Visit site
I'm sure that I have seen some book rack designs in the PBO sketch book. For the wine rack he could use one of the 'fabric' carrier bags that is divided into 6 compartments. When all the bottles are empty you can dispose off ashore at a recycling centre and buy some new full bottles. The other option is wine boxes. Thy don't rattle when stored together !

geem

Visit site
Wine bottles stored in socks in the bilges works for us. They dont rattle, can lie on thier side and they are nice and cool in the bilges

lpdsn

Visit site
I have a friend who's getting used to his 'new' boat - first for 40-odd years - and he's been mulling over creating a rack for books.

I've re-read all of Annie Hill's 'Voyaging On A Small Income' and there are no really suitable designs in there. Maybe Dick Everitt of PBO fame might have some good ideas!! Other suggestions welcome.... ;)

Buy him one of those cheap Chinese humidity meters. Once he gets the idea of how damp his books are going to get he might just go for the wine.

rob2

Visit site
Think laterally! Encourage him to build his book rack and the experience gained will improve his efforts when you encourage him to carry on and build the wine rack...

Rob.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

Yngmar

Visit site
Wine gets better with age. Books just absorb moisture, get soggy and start having mould freckles, so unlike the wine they get less enjoyable.

Serin

Visit site
Wine gets better with age. Books just absorb moisture, get soggy and start having mould freckles, so unlike the wine they get less enjoyable.

Do they? I have both a cosy lair for wine bottles (plus purpose built stowage for the associated drinking vessels) and a bookshelf on board and both wine and books seem to survive pretty well.

If you are going to read a good book, as, of course, you must if life is to be enjoyed to the full, then you really should have a glass of good wine to sip as you read. And if you are going to drink a good glass of wine, as you must, if life is to be enjoyed to the full, then it must be accompanied by at least one of the following things. Two may be permissable, but never try it with all three at the same time::
A delightful companion
An excellent meal, devoid of any possible association with the lamentable FB
A good book

A proper boat simply must have both a bookshelf AND a wine rack (or effective equivalent) Nothing less can possibly be acceptable and I hate to think of the privations experienced by those of my fellow yachtspersons who lack either of those two essentials of civilised existence. Indeed, they are literally unthinkable.

Gwylan

Visit site

Face facts, buy box wine and stuff it in the bilges.
Everyone who comes to sail has to bring a book and take a different one away. Limits the space needed and you learn a lot about the people you sail with!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Books just absorb moisture, get soggy and start having mould freckles, so unlike the wine they get less enjoyable.

Not always. I first read Maurice Griffiths in an old musty, mildewed copy of 'Magic of the Swatchways' a friend lent me. I really enjoyed it so I bought my own, brand new paperback copies of this and some of his other books. It just didn't seem right. So I later bought an old second-hand, musty, mildewed, cloth bound copy of Magic . . . Had it also reeked slightly of paraffin and stale pipe tobacco it would have been perfect!:)

Everyone who comes to sail has to bring a book and take a different one away. Limits the space needed and you learn a lot about the people you sail with!

Could be a mixed blessing!:D

Serin

Visit site
Face facts, buy box wine and stuff it in the bilges.

Ah, but what facts? It seems that neither your bilges nor your ever changing cast of companions are anything like mine. ;)

oldbilbo

Visit site
I have a further lidl query for Serin, Gwylan and others with a eono-perspective.....

On another boat, I have discovered a Plastimo 50L flexible water bag, which uses a space I want to utilise for something else. I'm unlikely ever to put water in it, that being provided ( preferentially ) by a number of 2L bottles bought from a nearby LIDL.

I'm also offered a 100L Plastimo flexi-bag.

Should I use one of these for good French 'vin de table', and if so, which one....?

Serin

Visit site
I have a further lidl query for Serin, Gwylan and others with a eono-perspective.....
Should I use one of these for good French 'vin de table', and if so, which one....?

Well, I suppose if you like vinegar it might work. Vinegar is rather a good cleaning agent, I find. (Air and wine don't go together, d'ye see) If you want a really classy vinegar, I suggest a nice Lafite or perhaps a decent Beaune. At least wine boxes are designed to maintain the vacuum........

So, on the whole, I I think tanks are naff, unless, of course, the whole lot is to be consumed immediately at some Bacchanalian orgy. Could that be what you have in mind? :)

I tend to prefer a little good wine to a lot of ordinary wine. Most of my wine comes from the Wine Society - there, I said it! ;) And before the inverted snob brigade descends on me, I would add that they offer brilliant value for money and lots of really good, interesting wines at amazing prices. But I don't think they do wine boxes or 2 litre bottles. Magnums, they do, though.

I'm sometimes nostalgic for the greenish litre bottles of plonk with foil caps and a ring of stars around the neck that we used to buy in Brittany long ago. We always found stowage space for lots of them. I haven't seen one for many a year.

Last edited: